Fossil Forum

Project release RSS/Atom feed?
Login

(1) By milkii on 2022-04-26 22:47:07 [source]

I'm adding software projects to my update info aggretation site, libreav.org. I'm trying to add abc2svg, which uses Fossil, and I'm wondering if there is an equivelant of the /releases.atom of GitHub? I see I can filter the timeline to view just tags, and I've found that there is a general timeline.rss feed for commits, but not, like, a release.rss. Any advice? Thanks!

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2022-04-26 23:24:24 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

and I've found that there is a general timeline.rss feed for commits, but not, like, a release.rss

The short answer is no. timeline.rss has a limited set of filter options, so you could hypothetically filter on a tag name common to all releases, but that will only work if the project in question gives a common tag to all releases.

Fossil's RSS support has never been a widely-used feature, possibly (just speculating) because browsers have dropped support for it over the past decade, Firefox in 2018 or 19 and Chrome much earlier:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/end-nears-for-rss-firefox-64-to-drop-built-in-support-for-rss-atom-feeds-says-mozilla/

Mozilla's move follows Google's recent decision to drop RSS feed subscription URLs from Google News. Google of course killed its own RSS reader in 2013, while Apple dropped RSS from the Mac Mail app in 2012.

That said, all that's missing for updating fossil's RSS feeds to meet needs such as yours is someone itched enough by the shortcoming to feel compelled to "scratch that itch" and write the corresponding code.

(3) By mario (mario_) on 2022-05-12 06:58:57 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

The easiest option would be a custom generator as extcgi handler. Don't have a GH releases.atom compatible one, but the /changelog or /project.json might be a good starting point: https://fossil.include-once.org/fossil-skins/wiki/extroot