Fossil Forum

Delete Windows service for service.md
Login

(1) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-03-18 02:16:51 [source]

Hi All,

Small documentation improvement request for services.md...

To delete the service, you need to use a powershell with elevated permissions. Then do the following:

> .\sc.exe delete fossil
[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

Might be a good idea to add this in the stunnel.md example as well.

(2.1) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-03-18 09:21:00 edited from 2.0 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

It does appear the the doc page you link has no suggestion as to how to remove the service once created. However, "fossil help winsrv" has an entry headed " fossil winsrv delete ?SERVICE-NAME?". I think that would be the better method for the Fossil docs. (Not that there is anything wrong with sc.exe, which can be run from a variety of CLI shells, not just Powershell.)

(Slight thread hijack here:) The same doc should, IMHO, get a few other changes:

1. There is no need to be running one of the Windows server editions to install Fossil as a service. The doc seems to indicate that such is necessary.

2. It would be a help for novices to mention, probably near the doc's close, that it will probably be necessary to make some firewall adjustments.

(3) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-03-18 14:37:56 in reply to 2.1 [link] [source]

Hi,

I was not aware of fossil winsrv. That's pretty cool! In that case, might be helpful to point the reader to either sc or winsrv.

There is no need to be running one of the Windows server editions

Yes, that's true. Maybe it should say a "version of Windows supported by Microsoft"? Using this weasel word phrasing may keep people from running Fossil on their XP machine, plus it future proofs the doc so it doesn't have to be updated each time an OS is EOL.

make some firewall adjustments.

The stunnel.md doc I linked to mentions this, but this document doesn't. I agree it would be helpful to mention this.

(4) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-03-18 18:42:23 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for editing the two files I mentioned in my OP.

Just one small correction, if you could.

stunnel.md powershell creates a service named fossil-secure, but you only used

sc.exe delete fossil

While pedantic, the rest of the article is giving the user a full setup of Fossil on Windows.

Do you think you could amend it to be:

sc.exe delete fossil-secure

Also, what do you think about Larry and I mentioned about updating this: You have Administrative access to a Windows 2012r2 or above server. (This is listed on both docs).