Fossil Forum

Update page title when searching forum request
Login

(1) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-08-11 15:58:23 [source]

Hi,

Small feature/enhancement request...

When you run a search on a forum, the page title still says Fossil Forum: Forum. I was wondering if a developer could and would consider updating the title to something like Fossil Forum: Search Results or even have the phrase searched for in the title. Fossil Forum: search - generic. Something along those lines.

Thanks!

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-08-11 18:56:28 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I was wondering if a developer could and would consider updating the title to something like Fossil Forum: Search Results or even have the phrase searched for in the title. Fossil Forum: search - generic.

Just checked in: it does the former. i'm hesitant to change it to show the search term only because that term can be arbitrarily long. If you think it would be more useful to show the search term in the title, there's no technical reason we can't do so.

(3) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-08-12 15:02:04 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Just checked in: it does the former.

drh rebuilt and I checked it out. I think what you did is just fine. The doc search behaves the same way, which I didn't test/check beforehand.

What's your opinion on this search page?

No matter which drop down you choose, the title remains the same: Fossil: Search.

(4) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-08-12 15:05:51 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

The doc search behaves the same way, which I didn't test/check beforehand.

i didn't touch that one but will make the same change later on.

i don't have a strong one. Either approach (current behaviour or like /forum) seems reasonable to me for that page. You?

(5) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-08-12 15:50:37 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

/docsrch and /search now also add "Results" to the title when s=... is passed in.

Again, if you really want the search term added, there's no technical hurdle to doing so, i'm only slightly hesitant to do that right now because the search string can be arbitrarily long, which can uglify the page header layout.

(6) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-08-12 17:17:21 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Again, if you really want the search term added, there's no technical hurdle to doing so

It might be nice to have, especially for reviewing browser history.

(7) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-08-12 17:28:34 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

It might be nice to have, especially for reviewing browser history.

Is that something people do with any real frequency, though? i admittedly did it about half an hour ago, but that was the first time in at least 3 or 4 months.

"The problem" is that it affects both the title and header of every search request, where it's just extra noise, whereas the browser history use case seems like a proverbial one in a million use case. If someone wants to bookmark a certain search (which seems like a reasonable thing to want to do), they can edit the title of the bookmark to something more readable than the search term.

That said: i'm not strongly averse to it, but would like to hear others' opinions of its real utility before cluttering up the page header that way. Because of the way the page layout works, changing the page title also changes the header to that same text, and we can't set those separately. If we could easily set the title separately from the header, i'd gladly update the title to include the search term while leaving the page header alone, but that capability would require new infrastructure.

(8) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-08-12 18:16:12 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

That said: i'm not strongly averse to it, but would like to hear others' opinions of its real utility

(emphasis mine)

I agree. I was only providing a use case for the affirmative of changing it to include the search term, which is probably not something I would likely do myself. As you have it now, is a nice improvement and is more accurate for the search page.