Fossil Forum

fossil open does not know about --verbose
Login

(1) By anonymous on 2021-11-09 13:15:27 [source]

I wanted to use the fossil open with URI syntax form to clone and open in one single step.

While the clone command knows about the --verbose parameter the open command seems to not know it. At least it is not listed in fossil help open.

The fossil open does call the fossil clone ... how can I make use of the --verbose parameter when calling this by usage of the fossil open command?

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-11-09 14:32:38 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

The fossil open does call the fossil clone ... how can I make use of the --verbose parameter when calling this by usage of the fossil open command?

You can't currently do so. Is there a compelling reason you can't perform clone/open in two steps for the rare(???) cases where you need --verbose for the clone? ("Compelling" meaning a reason which will convince someone to add that option for you.)

(That said: it looks like it would be a trivial change to add.)

(3) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-11-09 14:40:21 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

(That said: it looks like it would be a trivial change to add.)

The current trunk adds the --verbose option to open, but it's only passed on to the clone command and has no further effect.

(4) By anonymous on 2021-11-09 14:46:20 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

My problem is that I do not try these commands on my own but have to tell others what to type and I do not know which problems they have. Having to type even more input not on my own does not make the job easier but worse. The single line command works perfect for me and when I try it but at machine when typed by someone else I only get non-success messages and cannot find out reasons for this.

(By the way ... it is all on Windows OS and maybe the target machine is still on old Windows XP. - Yes, machines in production have a very long life and are secured by separation methodes mainly. My issue could also result from this but I cannot see any hint for this.)