Fossil Forum

Can a WIKI page be renamed?
Login

(1) By anonymous on 2021-09-14 13:31:08 [source]

Is there any way to rename a Wiki page?

(2) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2021-09-14 14:04:44 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

No, on purpose.

The good reason is that renaming a public URL breaks external links, which is bad, so it should not be allowed.

The real reason is that the name is baked into the root wiki artifact and thus couldn't be renamed even if it were advisable to do so.

Create a new page with the new name and cut-paste the content over. Committing both versions will "rename" the page by deleting the old version.

(3) By anonymous on 2021-09-14 22:13:00 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I did what I think you meant but ended up with two copies with different names.

Not quite sure what you meant by "committing both versions". Do I have to edit and commit without changing the old one?

(4) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-09-14 22:23:24 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Not quite sure what you meant by "committing both versions". Do I have to edit and commit without changing the old one?

• Copy the full text from the old one to the new one then save the new one.
  • Remove all text from the old one then save the old one.

Fossil treats empty wiki pages as "deleted" for most purposes. They're not really deleted, and their history is all still intact, but it uses the convention "no content means it's deleted" for purposes of the UI.

(5) By anonymous on 2021-09-15 07:25:20 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

That worked. Thank you.

(6) By anonymous on 2021-09-15 07:27:55 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Correction: It worked for the UI but it still shows in the CLI "fossil wiki list

(7) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-09-15 08:04:49 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Correction: It worked for the UI but it still shows in the CLI "fossil wiki list"

That's because you're not using the the latest trunk, where that 13.5-year-old behaviour was just changed a moment ago ;).