Changes For Version 1.30 (as yet unreleased)
- Add setting to control the number of times autosync will be tried before
returning an error.
- Add the fossil fusefs DIRECTORY command that mounts a
Fuse Filesystem at the given DIRECTORY and populates it with read-only
copies of all historical check-ins. This only works on systems that
- Support customization of commands and webpages, including the ability to
add new ones, via the "TH1 hooks" feature. Disabled by default. Enabled
via a compile-time option.
- Add the [checkout], [render], [styleHeader], [styleFooter],
[trace], [getParameter], [setParameter], and [artifact] commands
to TH1, primarily for use by TH1 hooks.
- Bring in the latest version of autosetup from upstream.
- When committing a (non-binary) file which contains bytes forming an
invalid UTF-8 stream, fossil now adds the possibility to convert it
to a valid UTF-8 stream ('c') if you like.
- Let fossil new no longer create an initial empty commit
by default. The first commit after checking out an empty repository will
become the initial commit. (NOT PLANNED FOR 1.30, BUT DONE TO EXPOSE
fossil new --empty TO MORE FIELD TESTING BEFORE
MAKING ANY DECISION ON IT!)
- Added a line-number toggle option to the /info
and /artifact pages.
Changes For Version 1.29 (2014-06-12)
- Add the ability to display content, diffs and annotations for UTF16
text files in the web interface.
- Add the "SaveAs..." and "Invert" buttons
to the graphical diff display that results
from using the --tk option with the fossil diff command.
- The /reports page now requires Read ("o") permissions. The "byweek"
report now properly propagates the selected year through the event type
- The info command now shows leaf status of the checkout.
- Add support for tunneling https through a http proxy (Ticket [e854101c4f]).
- Add option --empty to the "fossil open" command.
- Enhanced the fileage page to support a glob parameter.
- Add -w|--ignore-all-space and -Z|--ignore-trailing-space options to
fossil annotate, fossil blame,
fossil (g)diff, fossil stash diff.
- Add --strip-trailing-cr option to fossil (g)diff and
fossil stash diff.
- Add button "Ignore Whitespace" to /annotate, /blame, /ci, /fdiff
and /vdiff UI pages.
- Enhance /reports with a "byweekday" view.
- Enhance the fossil cat command so that it works outside
of a checkout when using the -R command-line option.
- Use full-length SHA1 hashes, not abbreviations, in most hyperlinks.
- Correctly render the <title> markup on wiki pages in the
- Enhance the fossil whatis command to report on attachments
and cluster artifacts. Added the /help?cmd=test-whatis-all command for
- Add support for HTTP Basic Authentication on clone and
- Fix the stash so that it remembers added files and re-adds
them when the stash is applied.
- Fix the server so that it avoids writing to the database (and thus avoids
database locking issues) on a
pull or clone.
- Add support for server load management using both
a cache of expensive pages (the fossil cache command)
and by rejecting expensive page requests when the server load average is too
- Add the fossil praise command as an alias for
fossil blame for subversion compatibility.
- Enhance the fossil test-diff command with -y or --tk
options so that it shows both filenames above their respective columns in
the side-by-side diff output.
- Issue a warning if a fossil add command tries to add a file
that matches the ignore-glob.
- Add option -W|--width to "fossil stash ls"
and "fossil leaves" commands.
- Enhance support for running as the root user. Now works on Haiku.
- Added the -empty option to fossil new, which
causes it to not create an initial empty commit. The first commit after
checking out a repo created this way will become the initial commit.
- Enhance sync operations by committing each round-trip to minimize number
of retransmits when autosync fails. Include option for
fossil update and fossil merge to
continue even if missing content.
- Minor portability fixes for platforms where the char type is unsigned
Changes For Version 1.28 (2014-01-27)
- Enhance /reports to support event type filtering.
- When cloning a repository, the user name passed via the URL (if any)
is now used as the default local admin user's name.
- Enhance the SSH transport mechanism so that it runs a single instance of
the "fossil" executable on the remote side, obviating the need for a shell
on the remote side. Some users may need to add the "?fossil=/path/to/fossil"
query parameter to "ssh:" URIs if their fossil binary is not in a standard
- Add the "fossil blame" command that works just like
"fossil annotate" but uses a different output format that includes the
user who made each changes and omits line numbers.
- Add the "Tarball and ZIP-archive Prefix" configuration parameter under
- Fix CGI processing so that it works on web servers that do not
- Add options --dirsonly, --emptydirs, and --allckouts to the
"fossil clean" command.
- Ten-fold performance improvement in large "fossil blame" or
"fossil annotate" commands.
- Add option -W|--width and --offset to "fossil timeline"
and "fossil finfo" commands.
- Option -n|--limit of "fossil timeline" now
specifies the number of entries, just like all other commands which
have the -n|--limit option. The various timeline-related functions
now output "--- ?? limit (??) reached ---" at the end whenever
appropriate. Use "-n 0" if no limit is desired.
- Fix handling of password embedded in Fossil URL.
- New --once option to fossil clone command
which does not store the URL or password when cloning.
- Modify fossil ui to respect "default user" in an open
- Fossil now hides check-ins that have the "hidden" tag in timeline webpages.
- Enhance /ci_edit page to add the "hidden" tag to check-ins.
- Advanced possibilities for commit and ticket change notifications over
http using TH1 scripting.
- Add --sha1sum and --integrate options
to the "fossil commit" command.
- Add the "clean" and "extra" subcommands to the
"fossil all" command
- Add the --whatif option to "fossil clean" that works the
same as "--dry-run",
so that the name does not collide with the --dry-run option of "fossil all".
- Provide a configuration option to show dates on the web timeline
as "YYMMMDD HH:MM"
- Add an option to the "stats" webpage that allows an administrator to see
the current repository schema.
- Enhancements to the "/vdiff" webpage for more difference
- Added the "/tree" webpage as an alternative
to "/dir" and make it the default way of showing file lists.
- Send gzipped HTTP responses to clients that support it.
Changes For Version 1.27 (2013-09-11)
- Enhance the fossil changes,
fossil clean, fossil extras,
fossil ls and fossil status commands
to restrict operation to files and directories named on the command-line.
- New --integrate option to fossil merge, which
automatically closes the merged branch when committing.
- Renamed /stats_report page to /reports. Graph width is now
relative, not absolute.
- Added yw=YYYY-WW (year-week) filter to timeline to limit the results
to a specific year and calendar week number, e.g. /timeline?yw=2013-01.
- Updates to SQLite to prevent opening a repository file using file descriptors
1 or 2 on unix. This fixes a bug under which an assertion failure could
overwrite part of a repository database file, corrupting it.
- Added support for unlimited line lengths in side-by-side diffs.
- New --close option to fossil commit, which
immediately closes the branch being committed.
- Added chart option to fossil bisect.
- Improvements to the "human or bot?" determination.
- Reports errors about missing CGI-standard environment variables for HTTP
servers which do not support them.
- Minor improvements to sync support on Windows.
- Added --scgi option to fossil server.
- Internal improvements to the sync process.
- The internals of the JSON API are now MIT-licensed, so downstream
users/packagers are no longer affected by the "do no evil" license
Changes For Version 1.26 (2013-06-18)
- The argument to the --port option for the fossil ui and
fossil server commands can take an IP address in addition
to the port number, causing Fossil to bind to just that one IP address.
- After prompting for a password, also ask if that password should be
- Performance improvements to the diff engine.
- Fix the side-by-side diff engine to work better with multi-byte unicode text.
- Color-coding in the web-based annotation (blame) display. Fix the annotation
engine so that it is no longer confused by time-warps.
- The markdown formatter is now available by default and can be used for
tickets, wiki, and embedded documentation.
- Add subcommands "fossil bisect log" and "fossil bisect status" to the
fossil bisect command, as well as other bisect enhancements.
- Enhanced defenses that prevent spiders from using excessive CPU and bandwidth.
- Consistent use of the -n or --dry-run command line options.
- Win32: Fossil now understands Cygwin paths containing one or more of
the characters "*:<>?|. Those are normally forbidden in
win32. This means that the win32 fossil.exe is better usable in a Cygwin
- Cygwin: Fossil now understands win32 absolute paths starting with a drive
letter everywhere. The default value of the "case-sensitive" setting is
now FALSE, except when case-sensitivity is enabled in the Windows kernel.
- Enhancements to /timeline.rss, adding more flags for filtering
results, including the ability to subscribe to changes made
to individual tickets. For example: /timeline.rss?y=t&tkt=12fceeec82.
- Improved handling of the differences between case-sensitive and
- JSON API: added the 'status' command to report local checkout status.
- Fixes to the --args support and documented this feature in the help.
- Added /stats_report page.
- Added ym=YYYY-MM filter to the /timeline?ym=2013-06.
- Fixed: config reset now re-installs default ticket report format.
- ssh:// and file:// protocols now ignore proxy settings.
- Added /hash-color-test web page.
- Cherry-pick merges are recorded internally (though no yet displayed on the
- Bring in the latest versions of SQLite, zlib, and autosetup from upstream.
Changes For Version 1.25 (2013-02-16)
- Enhancements to ticket processing. There are now two tables: TICKET and
TICKETCHNG. There is one row in TICKETCHNG for each ticket artifact.
Fields from ticket artifacts go into either or both of TICKET and
TICKETCHNG, whichever contain matching column names. Default ticket
edit and viewing scripts are updated to use TICKETCHNG. The TH1
scripting language is enhanced to support this, including the new
"query" command for doing SQL queries against the repository database.
All changes should be backwards compatible.
- Add the ability to moderate ticket and wiki changes. Unmoderated changes
do not sync and may be deleted by the moderator if found to contain spam
or other objectionable content.
that node. Then clicking on a second node shows a diff between the
two nodes. Clicking on the selected node unselects it.
- Warn of unresolved merge conflicts in "fossil status" and disallow
commits of unresolved conflicts unless the --allow-conflict option
sorts by the indicated column.
- Add the "fossil cat" command which is basically an alias for
"fossil finfo -p".
- Hyperlinks with the class "button" are rendered as submenu buttons
on embedded documentation.
- The check-in comment editor on windows now defaults to NotePad.exe.
- Correctly deal with BOMs in check-in comments. Also attempt to convert
check-in comments to UTF8 from other encodings.
- Allow the deletion of multiple stash entries using multiple arguments
to the "fossil stash rm" command.
- Enhance the "fossil server DIRECTORY" command to serve static content
files contained in DIRECTORY. For security, only files with a
recognized suffix (such as *.html, *.jpg, *.txt, etc) will be delivered
as static content, and *.fossil files are not on the list of recognized
suffixes. There are additional restrictions on the names of the files.
- Allow the "fossil ui" command to specify a directory as long as the
the --notfound option is used.
- Add a configuration option that causes timeline messages to be rendered
as text/x-fossil-plain (which is the same as text/plain except that
hyperlinks inside of [...] are decorated.)
- Only decorate [...] in check-in comments and tickets
if the contented text really is a valid hyperlink target.
- Improvements to the side-by-side diff algorithm, for a more
human-friendly display in some complex cases.
- Added [utime] and [stime] commands to TH1. These
commands can be used for things such as displaying the page rendering
time in the footer.
- Add the ability to pass command-line options of "fossil rebuild" to
"fossil all rebuild".
- Add the --deanalyze option to "fossil rebuild" (and "fossil all rebuild")
- Do not run the graphical merging tool nor leave merge-droppings after a
dry-run merge. Display an improved merge-summary message at the end of
- Add options to "fossil commit" to override the various sanity checks.
Options added: --allow-empty, --allow-fork, --allow-older, and
- Optionally require a CAPTCHA (controlled by a setting on the
Admin/Access webpage) when a user who is not logged in tries to
edit wiki, or a ticket, or an attachment.
- Improvements to the "ssh://" sync protocol, to help it move past
noisey motd comments.
- Add the uf=FILE-SHA1-HASH query parameter to the timeline, causing the
timeline to show only check-ins that contain the specific file identified
by FILE-SHA1-HASH. ("uf" stands for "uses file".)
- Enhance the file change annotator so that it follows the file across
- Fix the server-side of the sync protocol so that it will not generate
a delta loop when a file changes from its original state, through two
or more intermediate states, and back to the original state, all within
a single sync.
- Show much less output during a sync operation, unless the --verbose
option is used.
as an addition defense against spam-bots.
- Disallow invalid UTF8 characters (such as characters in the surrogate
pair range) in filenames.
- Judge the UserAgent strings issued by the NetSurf webbrowser to be
coming from a human, not from a bot.
- Add the zlib sources to the Fossil source tree (under compat/zlib) and
use those sources when compiling on (windows) systems that do not have
a zlib library installed by default.
- Prompt the user with the option to convert non-UTF8 files into UTF8
- Allow the characters *? in filenames.
- Allow the --context option on diff commands to have a value of 0.
- Added the "dbstat" command.
- Enhanced "fossil merge" so that if the VERSION argument is omitted, Fossil
tries to merge any forks of the current branch.
- Improved detection of forks in a commit race.
- Added the --analyze option to "fossil rebuild".
Changes For Version 1.24 (2012-10-22)
- Added support for WYSIWYG editing of wiki pages. WYSIWYG is turned off
by default and can be turned on by setting a configuration option.
- Allow style= attribute to occur in HTML markup on wiki pages.
- Added the --tk option to the "fossi diff" and "fossil stash diff"
commands, causing color-coded diff output to be displayed in a Tcl/Tk
GUI window. This option only works if Tcl/Tk is installed on the
- On windows, make the "gdiff" command default to use WinDiff.exe.
- Update the "fossil stash" command so that it always prompts for a
comment if the -m option is omitted.
- Enhance the timeline webpages so that a=, b=, c=, d=, p=, and dp=
query parameters (and others) can all accept any valid checkin name
(such as branch names or labels) instead of just SHA1 hashes.
- Added the "fossil stash show" command.
- Added the "fileage" webpage with links to this page from the check-in
information page and from the file browser.
- Added --age and -t options to the "fossil ls" command.
- Added the --setmtime option to "fossil update". When used, the mtime
of all mananged files is set to the time when the most recent version of
the file was checked in.
- Changed the "vdiff" webpage to show the complete text of files that
were added or removed (the equivelent of using the -N or --newfile
options with the "fossil diff" command-line.)
- Added the --temp option to "fossil clean" and "fossil extra", causing
those commands to only look at temporary files generated by Fossil,
such as merge-conflict reports or aborted check-in messages.
- Enhance the raw page download so that it can guess the mimetype of
attachments based on the filename.
- Change the behavior of the from= and to= query parameters on the
timeline page so that by default the path between the two specified
check-ins avoids merges.
- Add the --baseurl option to "fossil server" and "fossil http" commands,
so that those commands can be used with reverse proxies.
- If unable to determine the command-line user, do not guess. Instead
issue an error message. This helps prevent check-ins from accidentally
occurring under the wrong username.
- Include branch information in the output of file change listings
(the "finfo" webpage).
- Make the simplified view of file history, rather than the full view,
- In the "fossil configuration" command, allow the "css" option for
synchronizing, importing, or exporting just the CSS file. This makes
it easier to share CSS files across repositories by exporting from
one and importing to another.
- Add the (unsupported) "fossil test-orphans" command.
- Add the --template option to the "fossil init" command, to facilitate
creating new repositories based on a template repository.
- Add the diff-binary setting, which if enabled causes binary files to
be passed to the "gdiff" command for it to deal with, rather than simply
printing a "cannot diff binary files" error.
- Add the --unified option to the "fossil diff" command to force a unified
diff even if the --tk option (which normally implies a side-by-side diff)
- Present a choice of nearby branches and versions to diff against on the
check-in information page.
- Add the --force option to the "fossil merge" command that will force the
merge to occur even if it would be a no-op. This is sometimes useful for
- Add another built-in skin: "Enhanced Default". Other minor tweaks to
the existing skins.
- Add the "urllist" webpage, showing a list of URLs by which a server
instance of Fossil has been accessed. Requires "Administrator" privileges.
A link is on the "Setup" main page.
- Enable dynamic loading of the Tcl runtime for installations that want
to use Tcl as part of their configuration. This reduces the size of
the Fossil binary and allows any version of Tcl 8.4 or later to be used.
- Merge the latest SQLite changes from upstream.
- Lots of minor bug fixes.
Changes For Version 1.23 (2012-08-08)
- The default checkout database name is now ".fslckout" instead of
"_FOSSIL_" on unix. Both names continue to work.
- Added the "fossil all changes" command
- Added the --ckout option to the "fossil all list" command
- Added the "public-pages" glob pattern that can be configured to allow
anonymous users to see embedded documentation on sites where source
code should not be accessible to anonymous users.
- Allow multiple --tag options on the same "fossil commit" command.
- Change the meaning of the --bgcolor option for "fossil commit" to only
change the color for that one commit. The new --branchcolor option
is available to set a persistent background color.
- Add the branch= query parameter to the vdiff page and the --branch option
to the "fossil diff" command.
- Check-in names of the form "root:BRANCH" now refer to the origin of
the branch. Hence to see all changes in a branch, use
"fossil diff --from root:BRANCH --to BRANCH". The --branch option on
the diff command is an alias for the same.
- Add the ability to configure ad-units to be displayed between the menu
bar and the content.
- Add the ability to set a background image as part of server configuration.
- Allow partial commits of cherrypick merges.
- Updates against an uncommitted merge are now a warning, not a fatal error.
- Prompt the user to continue if a check-in comment is unedited.
- Fixes to case sensitivity settings with the /dir webpage.
- Repositories now try to remember the locations of all checkouts and
web-access URLs and display this information with the
"fossil info $REPO" command.
- Improved defense against spiders: The src= attribute of
- Enhanced formatting of the user list page.
- If a file named in "fossil add" is missing, that is now a warning instead
of a fatal error.
- Fix side-by-side diff so that it displays correctly with
multi-byte UTF8 characters.
- Performance improvements in the diff logic.
- Other performance tweaks and documentation updates.
Changes For Version 1.22 (2012-03-17)
- Greatly improved "diff" processing including the new --brief option,
partial line matching, colorized in-line diffs, and better performance.
- Promote "allow-symlinks" to a versionable setting
- Harden the CGI processing logic against DOS attacks
- Add the ability to run TH1 scripts after sync requests
- Store the repository name in _FOSSIL_ as it is type in the "open" command,
possibly as a relative pathname.
- Make ".fslckout" the alternative name for the "_FOSSIL_" file.
- Change the "ssh:" transfer method to allow all access regardless of
- Improvements to the timeline messages associated with tag changes.
(Requires a "fossil rebuild" to take effect.)
- Various additions and fixes for the JSON API.
- Improved merge-with-rename handling.
- --cherrypick merges use their origin's commit message by default.
- Added support for multiple concurrent logins per user.
- Update to use SQLite version 3.7.11.
- Various minor bug fixes.
Changes For Version 1.21 (2011-12-13)
- Added side-by-side diffs in the command-line interface
- Automatically enable hyperlinks if the UserAgent string in the
HTTP header suggests that the requestor is a human and not a bot.
- Show only commonly used commands with "fossil help". Use
"fossil help --all" to see the complete list now.
- Improvements to the "stash" command: (1) Stash all files, not just
those below the working directory. (2) Add the --detail option to
"list". (3) Confirm before "drop --all". (4) Add the "help"
- Add an Admin/Access setting to change the number of octets of the
IP address that are saved in login cookies - allowing this setting
to be changed to zero
- Promote the "test-md5sum" command to "md5sum".
- Added the "whatis" command.
- Stop showing the server-code in status outputs - it is no longer used
- Added a compile-time option (--with-tcl) to build in the full
TCL interpreter to augment TH1.
- Merged the JSON branch into trunk. Disabled by default. Enabled
by a compile-time option. Probably it will be enabled by default
in some future release.
- Update to use SQLite version 3.7.9 plus the alignment fix for Sparc.
Changes For Version 1.20 (2011-10-21)
- Added side-by-side diffs in HTML interface. 0bde74ea1e
- Added support for symlinks. (Controlled by "allow-symlinks" setting,
off by default). e4f1c1fe95
- Fixed CLI annotate to show the proper file version in case there
are multiple equal versions in history. e161670939
- Timeline now shows tag changes (requires rebuild).87540ed6e6
- Fixed annotate to show "more relevant" versions of lines in
some cases. e161670939
- New command: ticket history. 98a855c508
- Disabled SSLv2 in HTTPS client.ea1d369d23
- Fixed constant prompting regarding previously-saved SSL
- Other SSL improvements.
- Added -R REPOFILE support to several more CLI commands. e080560378
- Generated tarballs now have constant timestamps, so they are
always identical for any given checkin. e080560378
- A number of minor HTML-related tweaks and fixes.
- Added --args FILENAME global CLI argument to import arbitrary
CLI arguments from a file (e.g. long file lists). e080560378
- Fixed significant memory leak in annotation of files with long
- Added warnings when a merge operation overwrites local copies
(UNDO is available, but previously this condition normally went
silently unnoticed). 39f979b08c
- Improved performance when adding many files. a369dc7721
- Improve merges which contain many file renames. 0b93b0f958
- Added protection against timing attacks. d4a341b49d
- Firefox now remembers filled fields when returning to forms. 3fac77d7b0
- Added the --stats option to the rebuild command. f25e5e53c4
- RSS feed now passes validation. ce354d0a9f
- Show overridden user when entering commit comment. ce354d0a9f
- Made rebuilding from web interface silent. ce354d0a9f
- Now works on MSVC with repos >2GB. 6092935ff2
- A number of code cleanups to resolve warnings from various compilers.
- Update the built-in SQLite to version 3.7.9 beta.
Changes For Version 1.19 (2011-09-02)
- Added a ./configure script based on autosetup.
- Added the "fossil winsrv" command
for creating a Fossil service on windows systems.
- Added "versionable settings" where settings that affect
the local tree can be stored in versioned files in the
- Background colors for branches are choosen automatically if no
color is specified by the user.
- The status, changes and extras commands now show
pathnames relative to the current working directory,
unless overridden by command line options or the
change will break scripts which rely on the current
output when the current working directory is not the
- Added "empty-dirs" versionable setting.
- Added support for client-side SSL certificates with "ssl-identity"
setting and --ssl-identity option.
- Added "ssl-ca-location" setting to specify trusted root
- Added the --case-sensitive BOOLEAN command-line option to many commands.
Default to true for unix and false for windows.
- Added the "Color-Test" submenu button on the branch list web page.
- Compatibility improvements to the git-export feature.
- Performance improvements on SHA1 checksums
- Update to the latest SQLite version 3.7.8 alpha.
- Fix the tarball generator to work with very log pathnames
Changes For Version 1.18 (2011-07-14)
- Added this Change Log
- Added sequential version numbering
- Added a optional configure script - the Makefile still works for most
- Improvements to the "annotate" algorithm: only search primary
ancestors and ignore branches.
- Update the "scrub" command to remove traces of login-groups and
- Added the --type option to the "fossil tag find" command.
- In contexts where only a check-in makes sense, resolve branch and
tag names to checkins only, never events or other artifacts.
- Improved display of file renames on a diff. A rebuild is required
to take full advantage of this change.
- Update the built-in SQLite to version 3.7.7.