Fossil Forum

A suggestions to improve the documentation page 'Customizing The Ticket System'
Login

(1) By Torsten Berg (torstenberg) on 2021-09-06 06:33:50 [source]

HI,

this is not crucial, but it would have helped me to have these small additions on the 'Customizing The Ticket System' documentation page. So, maybe you want to consider taking this on board (fossil -i diff against tip-of-trunk):

Index: www/custom_ticket.wiki
==================================================================
--- www/custom_ticket.wiki
+++ www/custom_ticket.wiki
@@ -67,10 +67,17 @@
 </pre>
 This bit of code will get rid of the "email" field entry for logged-in users.
 Since we know the user's information, we don't have to ask for it. NOTE: it
 might be good to automatically scoop up the user's email and put it here.
 </p>
+<p>
+You might also want to enable people to actually assign the ticket to a specific
+person during creation. For this to work, you need to add the code
+for "assigned_to" as shown below under the heading "Modify the 'edit ticket' page".
+This will give you an additional combobox where you can choose a person during
+ticket creation.
+</p>
 </blockquote>

<h2>Modify the 'view ticket' page</h2><blockquote>
 <p>
 Look for the text "Contact:" (about halfway through).  Then insert these lines
@@ -95,11 +102,18 @@
 <pre>
 &lt;tr>&lt;td align="right">Assigned to:&lt;/td>&lt;td>
 &lt;th1>combobox assigned_to $assigned_choices 1&lt;/th1>
 &lt;/td>&lt;/tr>
 </pre>
-That will give you a drop-down list of assignees.  Now, similar to the previous
+That will give you a drop-down list of assignees. The first argument to the TH1
+command 'combobox' is the database field which the combobox is associated to.
+The next argument is the list of choices you want to show in the combobox (and
+that you specified in the second step above. The last argument should be 1 for a
+true combobox (see the <a href="th1.md#combobox">TH 1 documentation</a> for
+details).</p>
+
+<p>Now, similar to the previous
 section, look for "Contact:" and add this:
 <pre>
   &lt;tr>&lt;td align="right">Reported by:&lt;/td>&lt;td>
   &lt;input type="text" name="opened_by" size="40"
    value="$&lt;opened_by>">

(2) By Torsten Berg (torstenberg) on 2021-09-06 21:16:38 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

... what I forgot to mention (as a side note): I find the way of contributing via Forum and copy/paste diffs a bit, well, tedious and feasible only for small changes (I know I can send a mail with attachment as well).

I would just like to highlight how glad I was to read in the forum that the idea of implementing "push requests" had come up! I would really love to see that feature in fossil. It would make contribution by outside people much easier (and no need to go via Github any longer!) for my own projects as well!

Thanks for working on that. I wish I could help, but C is not my first language ...

(3) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-09-06 21:31:33 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I would just like to highlight how glad I was to read in the forum that the idea of implementing "push requests" had come up!

It's "come up" before, but something approaching github's push request facilities still seems like a long shot. There is currently no active work being done on such a feature.

In any case, even if the fossil software eventually supports PRs, this project cannot accept PRs from random users due to licensing requirements. Including of any non-trivial contributions require having a contributor agreement on file with our project lead, Richard (a.k.a. drh).

(4) By Torsten Berg (torstenberg) on 2021-09-09 06:32:06 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

I know about the contributor agreement and would sign it immediately if I had some significant changes to the code/functionality of fossil that I would like to see in future releases. So, do you consider this suggestion of adding some more text to a documentation page a non-trivial contribution?

Torsten

(5) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2021-09-09 15:04:51 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

It’s not my call, but if this were my copyright to manage, I’d say yes.

The razor I use is whether, if someone just glosses the idea of the change needed, two different people would implement the change the same way. If not, creativity may be involved, so you may have a basis for making a copyright claim against the improvement later. Thus the need to disclaim your contribution.

(8) By Torsten Berg (torstenberg) on 2021-09-12 19:51:37 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

OK, this is at least a clear distinction. I also see, the "Fossil SCM Contributor Agreement" actually mentions documentation as one kind of contribution.

So, I have sent a signed agreement to drh. Feel free, to use my contributions as you like (or discard them if don't).

Cheers, Torsten

(6) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-09-12 17:14:54 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

For the record: Torsten's CLA has been received and a copy is in the firesafe.

(7) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-09-12 17:27:53 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

For the record: Torsten's CLA has been received and a copy is in the firesafe.

@Torsten: please email me (sgbeal@googlemail.com) your preferred account name and i'll get you set up.