Fossil Forum

Forum documentation started
Login

(1) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-08 17:28:48 [source]

I've just checked in a good start at documentation for this new forum feature. I hope I'm not stepping on drh's toes here.

I took the liberty to link to it from the front page of the Fossil repository. Again, I hope I'm not over-stepping a boundary here. The link seemed to fit in with the existing content of that page.

In the document, I'm claiming that the next release of Fossil will be 2.7, but I think this is actually a significant enough feature set to merit "3.0." I chose to check in the conservative guess.

(2) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2018-08-08 18:19:42 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

For the file format page(https://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/fileformat.wiki#forum), can you correct this:

Forum mosts are like messages on a mailing list.

(4) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-08 18:32:25 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Done.

(3) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2018-08-08 18:19:58 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

No toes stepped upon. DRH is delighted to have the help. Keep it up!

(5) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-12 23:26:54 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

This document is now substantially complete. I may add more material to it later, but it conveys all the information I wanted it to now, and more.

Anyone who read an earlier version of this document should re-read it. It's grown quite dramatically since its initial version.

(6) By Dan Barbarito (danbarbarito) on 2018-08-14 04:24:25 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

The following section has a broken link:

Space Efficient: Because of Fossil's delta compression technology, discussions add little to the size of a cloned repository. Ten years of the SQLite project's discussions — averaging about 2 dozen posts per day — compress down to just 35 MB of space in a Fossil forum repository.

The "just 35 MB of space" link is not linking to the forumpost which resides in this repository (Fossil Forum), but it is instead linking to a non-existent forumpost in the main Fossil repository.

Side note: I've said this before, but I really wish we would enable tickets again. I kind of feel bad notifying all subscribers with something minor like this. If we had tickets, I can just create a low priority documentation ticket and it can be handled when someone with commit access has time. There are so many extremely minor bugs I've found that I don't even report because I don't want to bother people over such small things.

(7) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-14 04:55:58 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

The following section has a broken link:

Fixed, thanks.

linking to a non-existent forumpost in the main Fossil repository.

Yes, I keep doing that. Grr. I'd prefer that the forum be in the main repo, but that's me talking as an outsider. My usability concerns do not entirely overlap with drh's system administration concerns.

There are so many extremely minor bugs I've found that I don't even report

drh wants bugs to be discussed before being filed. He also seems to have some aversion to having bugs sitting around in the tracker, unfixed.

Me, I think having a bunch of open tickets is just a reflection of actual state of a typical software project.

For bug tickets, there's very little software that's bug-free, and some bugs will never be fixed due to lack of interest. In my Fossil-based projects, we reserve the Low bug priority level for such things. It may be read, "Yes, we know this is a problem, but it's minor and not likely to ever be fixed."

For feature request tickets, there are always far more ideas of things to do next than there are developer resources to implement them. That's why we occasionally triage the set of open feature request tickets, pushing some up towards the next release and dropping others down towards the lower priorities as our interest in them falls. Here, the set of "Low" priority tickets is the list of project ideas that are likely to only ever be implemented by outside community members.

To me, an empty "All open tickets" report means the project's over; nothing left to do, let's go home.