Fossil Forum

Can't synchronise repository with chiselapp
Login

(1) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-17 16:39:56 [source]

I have a repository hosted on chiselapp which I have been using happily for several years.

About a month ago, I started getting an error about an outdated SSL certificate when pushing from a Linux box running fossil 2.15. I said to ignore the error but not to remember the exception.

Next, I commissioned a new Windows 10 machine. When I cloned my repo onto it, it seemed to be missing some recent changes I had made on the Linux box.

On investigation, I find that changes on the Linux box aren't propagating to chiselapp. At some point, I said to remember the exception to see whether it would fix the synchronisation. It didn't.

I don't recall whether I've tried to push any changes from the Windows box, or whether that worked.

Here's what I see on the Linux box:

$ fossil push

Push to https://kenneth@chiselapp.com/user/nurdglaw/repository/nurdglaw

$

Following this, the top entry on the timeline on chiselapp is dated June 20. On the Linux box, the latest entry is dated July 16.

I guess I've misconfigured something on the Linux box - can anyone suggest where I should start looking?

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-17 17:03:49 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Here's what I see on the Linux box:

Try:

fossil sync -verily

That will force it to ignore certain shortcuts which can, in exceedingly rare cases, cause symptoms like what you are reporting. It only needs the -verily option one time, not for all future uses.

(3) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-17 17:53:19 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly it has no effect.

In case it's relevant, I have autosync switched on, and I generally rely on an ordinary commit.

(4) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-17 17:56:22 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Sadly it has no effect.

i unfortunately don't have any other suspicion or suggestion other than re-cloning.

If you have local changes you want to keep, do the following from your checkout to retain them (with the caveat that this will lose any "undo" and "stash" state):

fossil close --force
fossil open --keep /the/new/clone.fossil

(5) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-17 18:52:20 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Still no luck:

$ fossil open https://uuuuuuuu:pppppppp@chiselapp.com/user/uuuuuuuu/repository/rrrrrrrr --workdir work/myStuff

fossil clone 'https://uuuuuuuu:pppppppp@chiselapp.com/user/uuuuuuuu/repository/rrrrrrrr' /home/user/rrrrrrrr.fossil

remember password (Y/n)?

Round-trips: 2 Artifacts sent: 0 received: 180

Error: login failed

Round-trips: 2 Artifacts sent: 0 received: 180

Clone done, sent: 661 received: 7871447 ip: 2607:f1c0:84b:4b02:68e8:7a3f:2812:3fc0

server returned an error - clone aborted

clone of https://uuuuuuuu:pppppppp@chiselapp.com/user/uuuuuuuu/repository/rrrrrrrr failed

I am confident that the username, password and repository name are all correct.

(6) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-17 18:59:28 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

I am confident that the username, password and repository name are all correct.

That's not something we can help you with - you'll need to contact Roy Keene (the site's operator). Make sure, though, that you are using the login for that repo, not your Chiselapp credentials. Those are separate things.

(7) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-17 19:53:52 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Are you sure I need the "login for that repo, not my Chiselapp credentials"?

From the chiselapp dashboard, the "how to clone" instructions for authenticated cloning are to do fossil clone https://uuuuuuuu@chiselapp.com/user/uuuuuuuu/repository/rrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr.fossil

Where uuuuuuuu is my chiselapp username and rrrrrrrr is the repo name. (Actually I used my (chiselapp) username for the repository, so I'm guessing where uuuuuuuu and rrrrrrrr occur in the URL.)

Since it seemed to need the chiselapp username, I specified the chiselapp password as well.

Sorry to quibble, as I'm the one asking for help.

I can get the "project code" from the local repository (via fossil info) - will that be the same as on the chiselapp version, and if so, does it need to be specified somewhere in the URL?

(8) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-17 20:16:09 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

From the chiselapp dashboard, the "how to clone" instructions...

Fossil has its own credentials. It's possible that Chiselapp is set up to apply its credentials to your repos, but i have no idea. It's a 3rd-party service, not part of this project.

I can get the "project code" from the local repository (via fossil info) - will that be the same as on the chiselapp version, and if so, does it need to be specified somewhere in the URL?

The project code is an internal detail - you should never need to even know that it exists. Fossil uses it to ensure that different projects' repositories don't sync with each other.

(9) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-17 21:50:25 in reply to 8 [link] [source]

Thanks Stephan.

(10) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-20 10:55:20 in reply to 8 [link] [source]

I've raised a ticket against Roy Keene's flint project on chiselapp.

I have since tried from a third machine, and I find that from that machine, I can synchronise successfully with my chiselapp repository.

To summarise, I have three machines:

A - Linux Mint 20.2, fossil 2.15 [2c6012c4aa]
B - Windows 10, cygwin, fossil 2.11 [63837f423f]
C - Windows 10, cygwin, fossil 2.11 [63837f423f]

I can sync from machine C, but not from A or B.

Notes:

1. The SSL certificate at chiselapp is currently invalid. On all three machines, I have accepted the certificate anyway; on A and B at some point I've said to remember the exception but I haven't said that on C.
  2. Some history:
    • I've had A for more than 5 years and it's the machine from which I've made the majority of commits recently. I think the last successful sync was from around the time that the SSL certificate expired.
    • B is a new machine, about 6 weeks. I probably set up the local repo to look as much like the one on A as I could.
    • I've had C for a couple of years. I had some trouble setting it up (it was the subject of my only previous posting on this forum) but it worked ok once I sorted that out. I haven't used fossil on it very much since then.

I completely appreciate that the issue may well be with chiselapp rather than fossil, but since the same version of fossil behaves differently on the same operating system (B and C), I still suspect that I may have got some configuration or settings wrong and would welcome any help tracking down what the misconfiguration might be.

Many thanks.

(11) By ravbc on 2021-07-20 11:12:26 in reply to 10 [link] [source]

The SSL certificate at chiselapp is currently invalid.

How did you check that? From my test it's perfectly valid for over a month yet. Are you having some issue with time synchronization on your machines?

(12) By ravbc on 2021-07-20 11:17:14 in reply to 11 [link] [source]

OK there is a problem - not with chiselapp cert, but with Let's Encrypt signing cert.

So, Roy: maybe try to renew the cert?

(13) By Andy Bradford (andybradford) on 2021-07-20 14:07:19 in reply to 12 [link] [source]

> OK  there is  a problem  -  not with  chiselapp cert,  but with  Let's
> Encrypt signing cert.

On  this note,  I  might  add that  I  had  problems synchronizing  with
fossil-scm.org this morning due to the Let's Encrypt certificate that it
uses, however, the problem was entirely on my end. My OS was missing the
signing certificates:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autosync:  https://www.fossil-scm.org/home
Unable to verify SSL cert from www.fossil-scm.org
  subject: CN = sqlite.org
  issuer:  C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
  sha256:  4a14452a4bac39e4780e320367f11b6491a43d42ff837a9713dd57996f7d2cba
accept this cert and continue (y/N)? n
SSL cert declined

All I had to do was add the "active" certificates from the Let's Encrypt
website to  /etc/ssl/cert.pem (on OpenBSD). Alternatively  they could go
in /etc/ssl/certs as a certhash file:

# openssl certhash -v /etc/ssl/certs
scanning directory /etc/ssl/certs
creating link 0b9bc432.0 -> isrg-root-x2.pem
creating link 4042bcee.0 -> isrgrootx1.pem
creating link 8082542d.0 -> lets-encrypt-e1.pem
creating link 8d33f237.0 -> lets-encrypt-r3.pem

https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/

It's more likely that the  problem with the chiselapp.com certificate is
due to missing trust.

Andy

(14) By Andy Bradford (andybradford) on 2021-07-20 14:14:35 in reply to 10 [link] [source]

> The SSL certificate at chiselapp is currently invalid. 

Are you missing  the Let's Encrypt signing certificates  on your system?
If  you don't  have  these, it  will  not be  possible  to validate  the
certificate on chiselapp.com. Note that chiselapp.com verifies just fine
for me:

$ openssl x509 -noout -fingerprint -in /tmp/chiselapp.com.pem
SHA256 Fingerprint=DA:4F:A4:77:12:23:1C:AA:FD:85:5A:F8:5A:48:D9:CF:51:74:4C:63:29:9A:61:11:CA:61:A8:2B:6A:16:78:22
$ openssl verify -verbose /tmp/chiselapp.com.pem             
/tmp/chiselapp.com.pem: OK

Also  note  that  if  I  remove  the  Let's  Encrypt  certificates  from
/etc/ssl/certs it now fails:

$ openssl verify -verbose /tmp/chiselapp.com.pem
CN = chiselapp.com
error 20 at 0 depth lookup:unable to get local issuer certificate
/tmp/chiselapp.com.pem: verification failed: 20 (unable to get local issuer certificate)

Andy

(16) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-20 20:58:32 in reply to 14 [link] [source]

> Are you missing  the Let's Encrypt signing certificates  on your system?
> If  you don't  have  these, it  will  not be  possible  to validate  the
> certificate on chiselapp.com.

That sound very likely.

I don't recall ever doing anything to get hold of any sort of certificates from Let's Encrypt and any of the machines.

OTOH, machine C was used when working with a company that used (gasp!) git for version control and I may well have pulled those down, possible without realising.

Please can you let me have brief instructions on how to check and/or "install" the certificates on machines A and B. (It looks very much as though when you executed the openssl command above, the file /tmp/chilesapp.com.pem already existed.

Alan

(17) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2021-07-20 21:04:03 in reply to 16 [link] [source]

My reply #15 answers these questions.

(19) By Andy Bradford (andybradford) on 2021-07-21 03:27:18 in reply to 16 [link] [source]

> I  don't  recall ever  doing  anything  to get  hold  of  any sort  of
> certificates from Let's Encrypt and any of the machines.

It's likely that you  never had to do anything before.  I've never had a
problem synchronizing with fossil-scm.org before,  yet as you can see in
a previous post in this thread,  I too ran into SSL verification errors.
Upon investigation,  I found  that my  OS did  not actually  include (or
maybe has removed) the signing certificates for Let's Encrypt.

Once I added in the missing certificates, it started working again.

Andy

(15) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2021-07-20 20:52:02 in reply to 10 [link] [source]

Windows 10, cygwin, fossil 2.11

That's unfortunate: the Fossil package appears to be abandoned on Cygwin. Worse, it appears that the latest ca-certificates package is about 16 months old at this point.

Have you tried the standard workaround, just as a test?

If that works, then I'd suggest one of two paths rather than continue using that workaround:

1. If you depend on Cygwin packages, one or both of these are probably up for adoption.

2. With WSL sucking all the oxygen out of the room, maybe it's best to abandon Cygwin.

The SSL certificate at chiselapp is currently invalid.

It verifies here.

I will note that they aren't automatically redirecting HTTP to HTTPS, though. Not only is that bad practice, it may explain your symptom: perhaps this "third machine" of yours is syncing over HTTP.

(18) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-20 21:30:46 in reply to 15 [link] [source]

I've downloaded cacert.pem from https://curl.se/docs/caextract.html, and executed

$ fossil settings ssl-ca-location $HOME/Downloads/cacert.pem

for my main repository. When I execute `fossil sync` there are still no changes visible on chiselapp.

Is this what you meant by trying "the standard workaround"?

My original assertion that the SSL certificate was invalid is based on fossil reporting "Unable to verify SSL cert from chiselapp.com" when I execute a pull/push/sync command. I only see this on machine C since I have said to accept the unverified certificate and remember the exception on machines A and B.

On machine C, `fossil remote-url` returns an address starting https://.

(20) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 07:41:40 in reply to 18 [link] [source]

Can anyone offer any further help on this, please?

Have I correctly tried "the standard workaround"? If not, then please help me to try it.

If I have, then it didn't work, reponse 15 above only suggests how to proceed if the standard workaround does work.

The current state is that I can now sync with chisleapp from both machines running Windows using ctgwin and fossil 2.11, but I cannot sync from the Linux machine running fossil 2.15. I see 2.16 is now available; I'll try it presently.

Thank you for the information about using WSL instead of cygwin; I shall certainly look into it. Right now, however, my highest priority is to get things working on my Linux box.

Is there anything I can do with fossil that will help track down the exact problem it is encountering? If you believe the problem is related to certificate problems at chiselapp, then how should I proceed? Can identify what certificates I'm using, so I can compare the successful setup on the Windows boxes with the failing Linux configuration?

Many thanks.

Full disclosure:

• The repository size is 86M. Is this relevant?
  • While writing this reply, I re-set the remote-url on the Windows box that was previously not syncing. This prompted me for a password. When I executed `fossil sync` I was once more prompted about the certificate problems. When the sync completed, I was warned that a fork had occurred, and lo! the changes had propogated to chisleapp correctly. I tried to duplicate this on the Linux box, which behaved the same with respect to prompts, but displayed no "fork" warning and no changes were visible on chisleapp. I happen to have some previous versions of fossil available on that machine but the behaviour is identical with versions 2.10, 2.12.1 and 2.13.

(23) By Andy Bradford (andybradford) on 2021-07-23 14:14:45 in reply to 20 [link] [source]

> Is there anything I  can do with fossil that will  help track down the
> exact problem it is encountering?

Will you please provide the fossil output that shows the problem?

Thanks,

Andy

(26) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 19:32:57 in reply to 23 [link] [source]

Andy,

Half the trouble is that fossil doesn't output anything untoward. While I was building machine B, I took pains to ensure that everything I had done on its predecessor was committed to the local repo, thinking that this would ensure it was all there on chiselapp for me to pull down onto the new machine. It came as something of a shock when it wasn't. I then spotted that the changes I'd been committing from machine A weren't there either.

Commits from B started syncing to chiselapp OK today (or possibly yesterday) when I happened to reconfigure the remote URL; it's quite likely that it was wrong previously. Commits from A still don't get sync'ed correctly.

Here's the result of executing fossil push on machine A (Linux Mint 20.2, fossil 2.16):

Push to https://ruuuuuuu@chiselapp.com/user/cuuuuuuu/repository/crrrrrrr
Unable to verify SSL cert from chiselapp.com
  subject: CN = chiselapp.com
  sha256:  d40a8fdee44116a15bed3e9cdfa2e8cd3302e255892be81139da0c866d6ea3b4
accept this cert and continue (y/N)? y
remember this exception (y/N)? 
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 0  received: 0

Looking carefully, the numbers in the last line are fairly clearly "off". I noted just now, for the first time, that there is no newline after the counts, so the Round-trips are generally overwritten by the bash prompt for a new command. Needless to say, no changes have made their way to the chiselapp repository.

fossil remote-url returns the same on both two machines, except that I use a different repository username on each machine.

(21) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 09:34:10 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

Apologies, Stephan.

While writing reply 20 below I reconfigured the remote-url. I confirm that this should be

https://ruuuuuu:rppppppp@chiselapp.com/user/cuuuuuuu/repository/crrrrrrr

where

cuuuuuuu and cppppppp are the chiselapp username and password; and

ruuuuuuu and rppppppp are the repository username and password.

(22) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-23 09:51:35 in reply to 21 [link] [source]

Apologies, Stephan.

No need. Unfortunately, i don't have any further ideas :/. Syncing has always "just worked" for me, SSL or otherwise. FWIW, this machine is also Mint 20.2 (but it was 20.1 when this thread started).

The current state is that I can now sync with chisleapp from both machines running Windows using ctgwin and fossil 2.11, but I cannot sync from the Linux machine running fossil 2.15. I see 2.16 is now available; I'll try it presently.

AFAIR nothing has changed in the sync code in that time, but trying the latest version never hurts (well, almost never). For many of us the tip of the trunk is always "the latest release," and we generally recommend running the trunk version to users who are able to. There was a fix for SSL cert hostname verification in either 2.15 or 2.16, but that doesn't seem to be an issue, as you're able to sync from other machines.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if...

• From one of your Windows machines, sync with Chiselapp.
  • On that machine, run fossil server --port 8080.
  • From the Linux machine, run:
fossil pull --once -R the-repo.fossil http://your-windows-ip:8080

(If you're in a checkout, you can leave off the -R filename part.)

Does that pull the latest stuff to the Linux machine via the Windows machine? If so, we know that the problem is communication between your Mint and Chiselapp. If not, we know... something else.

(24) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 17:34:20 in reply to 22 [link] [source]

It seems we know something else.

It struck me that my problem is actually that the most recent changes are on the Linux box, so I used fossil push rather than pull. Also, for historical (hysterical?) reasons I always run a fossil server on the Linux box on port 8800, so I'm used to using that port. Thus the commands below are a little different from your recommendation:

$ (cd work/myStuff/; fossil push --once http://matt:8800)
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 2  received: 0
Error: not authorized to write
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 2  received: 0
Push done, sent: 645755027  received: 314  ip: 192.168.1.227

The Error: not authorized to write is interesting (if uninformative), and I think the way operation continues after the error to be unfortunate.

Unsurprisingly, the recent commits don't appear on chiselapp - they also don't appear on matt (Machine B, one of the windows boxes).

(Sorry for the slow response.)

(25) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-23 19:07:37 in reply to 24 [link] [source]

The Error: not authorized to write is interesting (if uninformative),

i'm not certain, and haven't checked the code, but passing a url to --once probably doesn't use the saved credentials for the default url. You likely just need to add your login name to the url: http://name@matt...

(27) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 19:39:44 in reply to 25 [link] [source]

$ (cd work/myStuff/; fossil push --once http://alan@matt:8800) password for alan: Round-trips: 1 Artifacts sent: 0 received: 0 Error: login failed Round-trips: 1 Artifacts sent: 0 received: 0 Push done, sent: 2080 received: 301 ip: 192.168.1.227

I'm assuming you meant me to specify the Windows login information :-)

I guess the number in the last row following "sent: " is the number of bytes sent over the wire. The number in the previous attempt looked very plausible.

(28) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-23 19:53:23 in reply to 27 [link] [source]

I'm assuming you meant me to specify the Windows login information :-)

Nope - Windows plays no role in the authentication here. Fossil URLs always (even on Chisel) take a Fossil-specific login.

I guess the number in the last row following "sent: " is the number of bytes sent over the wire. The number in the previous attempt looked very plausible.

Correct: "sent" is over-the-wire bytes (including compression, IIRC, but there was a recent discussion about a discrepancy in that regard). The Artifact count is the number of blobs sent/received, so 0 is completely expected when nothing is synced. Your login failed, though, so sending those cannot have worked unless the remote accepts pushing from guest accounts.

(29) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 20:41:16 in reply to 28 [link] [source]

OK, OK. Give me credit for always getting confused about credentials :-)

From a quick look, if seems I hadn't done much user setup on matt, having done some, the command now goes

$ (cd work/myStuff/; fossil push --once http://ruuuuuu@matt:8800) password for alan: Round-trips: 8 Artifacts sent: 48 received: 0 Push done, sent: 1307831776 received: 6491 ip: 192.168.1.227

From the Mint box

As before, no updates on chiselapp, and none on matt.

(Two side-questions: i) Is it possible to pull the user configuration down from chiselapp? ii) How do you do the quoting and highlighting in this forum? I've tried Markdown and Fossil wiki style and can't work it out.)

(30) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-23 20:56:57 in reply to 29 [link] [source]

Round-trips: 8 Artifacts sent: 48 received: 0 Push done, sent: 1307831776 received: 6491 ip: 192.168.1.227

That sent 1.3GB of data in 48 blobs to the matt Windows computer, so something must have happened to matt.

As before, no updates on chiselapp, and none on matt.

That push won't update Chiselapp. It simply pushed the data to matt. If, from matt, you now to "fossil sync", it "should" send that data Chiselapp.

If you're not seeing that data on matt then i opine that "you ain't looking right." The push output clearly shows that it was transferred. Perhaps you're looking at a different copy of the repo or you have hidden the branch you're looking for, so don't see it in the timeline.

Size might be an issue: i have no idea whether Chiselapp imposes any size limits. It would not at all surprise me if that machine rejects transfers that big. (If i were hosting Chiselapp on a volunteer basis on my own hardware, i would do everything in my power to stop people from hosting repos that large.)

We know, from the above sync output, that your Mint machine can send data to matt:8800. Therefore, if your Mint machine cannot send data to Chiselapp then there's another factor we're not aware of. Firewall or a proxy server or Chiselapp transfer limits or any number of other factors outside of fossil's visibility.

(Two side-questions: i) Is it possible to pull the user configuration down from chiselapp?

You can pull the list of users:

fossil config pull user

But doing so is rarely of real use. The passwords pulled that way won't work. All passwords are hashed in such a way that the hash is only valid for that particular clone of a repository.

How do you do the quoting and highlighting in this forum? I've tried Markdown and Fossil wiki style and can't work it out.)

Tap the "source" link at the top of any post which contains such a thing and you'll see how it's done. Quoting has to be done by hand - it can't be done automatically because the forum supports 3 different, mutually exclusive, text formats.

(31) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 21:11:28 in reply to 30 [link] [source]

If you're not seeing that data on matt then i opine that "you ain't looking right."

I can see how you might form that opinion. I'm basing this on pointing a browser at http://matt:8800/timeline and not seeing the latest changes, which I do seem to have pushed from the Mint box. This is how I'm looking at chiselapp and what leads me to think that the changes aren't getting there.

I've just tried doing a straightforward fossil push on the Mint box, so it goes straight to chiselapp; if completes much more quickly, but the last line is overwritten by the bash prompt for the next command. The last time I noticed it, it was still showing `Round-trips: 1 Artifacts sent: 0 received: 0.

(Thanks for the suggestion to use the "source" link; I hope the fruits of doing so are apparent a few lines above.)

(32) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-23 21:20:18 in reply to 31 [link] [source]

I can see how you might form that opinion. I'm basing this on pointing a browser at http://matt:8800/timeline and not seeing the latest changes,

The push output disagrees, so two things to try:

• Force a page reload of /timeline. Normally that is shift-reload or ctrl-reload. You may be seeing a cached copy.
  • View the timeline from the CLI, fossil timeline -R the-repo.fossil, noting that if the data are older then they won't appear in the CLI's output because it only shows the most recent activity by default. See "fossil help timeline" for how to change that.

(33) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-23 21:48:21 in reply to 32 [link] [source]

Oops. I'm embarrassed to say that stuff is getting to matt ok. I might not have been seeing it because I needed to shift-R or ctl-R or whatever (I'm using firefox), or it might be because the additional commits happened before a couple of genuine commits from matt, so they weren't at the top of the screen.

The push from matt is now failing with an error

$ fossil push
Push to https://helga@chiselapp.com/user/nurdglaw/repository/nurdglaw
Unable to verify SSL cert from chiselapp.com
  subject: CN = chiselapp.com
  sha256:  d40a8fdee44116a15bed3e9cdfa2e8cd3302e255892be81139da0c866d6ea3b4
accept this cert and continue (y/N)? y
remember this exception (y/N)?
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 0  received: 0
server says: 500 Internal Server Error
Push done, sent: 658653739  received: 1696  ip: 2607:f1c0:84b:4b02:68e8:7a3f:2812:3fc0

I suppose it's not completely unreasonable that the chiselapp server can't cope with 600Mb of data at once, though it would be nice if it could. Is there a way to do a partial push?

I think we've just worked out that there's a problem communicating between my Mint box and chiselapp. When we manage to sort this out, I anticipate that I'm going to run into a similar problem to the one I saw on matt.

Many thanks. It's getting late in the UK and I need to turn in, can we continue this on Monday?

(34) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-23 22:00:30 in reply to 33 [link] [source]

server says: 500 Internal Server Error

Chiselapp is crashing there. Whether it's due to a transfer limit or a genuine fossil bug we can't say. We'll need Roy (Chiselapp's operator) to take a peek. We're not aware of any crashes during the sync process, so my completely uninformed suspicion is that Roy has a proxy between you and fossil which limits transfer sizes, memory use, and/or repo sizes.

Is there a way to do a partial push?

Nope. That would require significant changes to fossil, some of which have been discussed before in the context of "shallow clones," but it requires changes which are not easily made. If the limitation you're hitting is a RAM limit then a partial push wouldn't help because you have massive blobs which have to reside in memory during their transfer.

(35) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-26 13:05:41 in reply to 34 [link] [source]

I've just tried to push from matt again, with the same result (modulo a small change in the exact number of bytes transferred).

I've also managed to find my way onto the Tclers chat group, where I see Roy is lurking, so I may be able to get hold of him to discuss the 500 Internal Server Error.

If I manage to get the server error resolved, I will (probably) still have a communication problem between my Mint box and chiselapp. Where would be the best place to get help resolving that? Here or via Roy?

(36) By nurdglaw on 2021-07-28 16:48:45 in reply to 35 [link] [source]

I've got everything working again. Many thanks to everyone (particularly Stephan) for their patience and help.

I managed to get hold of Roy Keene and the problem was caused by a couple of database dumps which, even when gzipped were in excess of 600MiB. Roy has changed flint (the chiselapp software) to allow designated users to exceed the previous 512 MiB memory limit.

I had copied these dumps between machines A and B, but not to C which explains why I was always able to sync from there.

I assume I will continue to need the large memory space forever, even if the database dumps aren't affected by a commit.

As a final nitpick, I looked at the output of fossil commit many times without spotting the embedded 500 Internal Server error message. Could that somehow be made more prominent? Maybe a dirty great "ERROR" at the left-hand margin or bracketed with >>> and <<< ?

(37) By jamsek on 2021-07-28 17:22:45 in reply to 36 [link] [source]

As a final nitpick, I looked at the output of fossil commit many times without spotting the embedded 500 Internal Server error message. Could that somehow be made more prominent? Maybe a dirty great "ERROR" at the left-hand margin or bracketed with >>> and <<< ?

I don't think that's warranted; it was immediately identified by Stephan from
your screen dumps and he even identified the likely cause as a result.

Glad to hear Roy has provided a solution for you.

(38) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-07-29 02:39:27 in reply to 36 [link] [source]

I've got everything working again.

Great!

I assume I will continue to need the large memory space forever, even if the database dumps aren't affected by a commit.

For certain operations, those large files will impact fossil's memory usage greatly. The cases which comes to mind:

1. Clone and sync of those files, as you've discovered.

2. Checking in a change to one of them requires having both the old and new versions in memory at once so that a delta can be calculated and/or applied. (Fossil generally keeps the latest version of any given file in its full/undeltad form in the db and stores older versions as deltas.)

3. Generating a tar or zip requires memory directly proportional to the total contents of the version being tarred/zipped.

4. Rebuild (sometimes needed after a fossil upgrade) might need to load the whole blob and/or (re)create deltas, but i'm not 100% certain of that.

Other than that... i don't think your repo will need that much memory on a regular basis. If it does fail, though, then we now know why!