Fossil Forum

login group question
Login

login group question

login group question

(1) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-02-29 16:59:05 [link] [source]

I currently have two repositories that are part of the same login group. I want to create a new repository and make it part of that login group. I want to add the users that currently exist in the login group to the new repository while maintaining the existing passwords. I'm asking because I'm concerned I might accidentally change the passwords in the login group when I add the new user(s) if I do things incorrectly.

What is the best way to do this? How do I safely migrate the users and passwords from the login group to the new repository?

mike

(2) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2024-02-29 17:07:39 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

The passwords do not need to be the same. If you have three repos, AAA, BBB, and CCC, that are all part of the same login group, if you log into one then you are automatically logged into the all the others for which you have a user id. The password does not need to be the same.

You use the password for whichever repo you log into first. Then you are automatically logged into all the others, regardless of what the password is on the others.

If you change your password on any one of the three repos, then passwords are automatically updated on all of the others. That means, for example, if you have 50 repos in the same login group and you change the password on one of those repos, then you end up doing a write transaction on all 50 repositories.

(Caveat: At least, that's the way I remember coding it. It has been ages since I wrote that code, though, so maybe my memory is wrong.)

(3) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-02-29 17:25:12 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Thanks for the reply, Richard.

I think I understand that (knock on wood). Let me rephrase my question. How do I add users to the new repository such that they inherit the existing passwords? I'd like the password to be the same across all repositories, including the new one, and I want it to be the existing password.

I don't want to accidentally change the password on the existing repositories just because adding a user on the new repository comes up with a different default password.

mike

(4) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2024-02-29 19:51:40 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

How do I add users to the new repository such that they inherit the existing passwords?

You cannot, because there is per-repository information that gets mixed into the hashed passwords. Copying them over would invalidate the passwords.

Thus point #4 here: if you want the passwords to sync, you have to apply them to all repos intentionally. This results in a different password hash in each repo which matches as the "same" password at login time.

That doc distills a long session of careful experimentation, which I can save you needlessly replicating if you will but read it carefully. Hint. :)

(5.2) Originally by Michael Durian (durian) with edits by Warren Young (wyoung) on 2024-03-01 00:48:40 from 5.1 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

I started with that document before I hit the forum. I think I understand why this is tricky, I'm trying to figure a course of action besides "can't do it".

What is the best way to achieve my goal? I want to create a new repository, add users and have them be able to login using the same passwords they use on the other repositories. Without making the users change their password and without accidentally changing the existing passwords when I add the users to the new repository. Having separate pre-repository hashes is great. I just want them to be able to login using the same credentials.

Would this work?

1. Create the new repository
  2. Add it to the existing login group
  3. Add users, making sure the scope is set to 'this repository only'
  4. Use the UI interface on one of the other repositories and change something trivia for one of the users (like an access privilege - basically anything except the password itself), being sure the scope is set to the login group
  5. Revert the trivial change, again saving with scope set to the login group
  6. Repeat for each user

I guess I'm most worried about step 3, making sure adding a new user doesn't push a new password to the rest of the group.

As a feature request, an 'update all users across entire group' command would greatly simplify steps 4-6.

How do other people handle this situation? While it might not be a common action, it doesn't strike me as something that has never happened before.

(6) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2024-03-01 00:48:13 in reply to 5.1 [link] [source]

Would this work?

I think so, but I'm not interested enough to try the experiment for you. Give it a shot. What happens?

What I can tell you isn't going to happen is for all of the passwords to come into sync short of forcing them across all other repos in the group. This is not an SSO system, as commonly understood. If that's what you want, you should look into the several historical threads on integrating Fossil with LDAP, OAUTH, AD-FS, etc.

No such integration exists, mind. I'm just telling you that you're going down a path that lots of people have trodden before, and I'd rather we don't repeat all that in this thread.

(7) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 01:42:24 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

The whole purpose of my initial post was to ask how others, with more fossil knowledge than I have, how to handle this situation so I don’t have to experiment and potentially mess things up. If that person is not you, if this is not a situation you’ve dealt with, that is fine and I thank you for your feedback. Perhaps someone else will know.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear, but I do want the same passwords used across all other repos in the group, so “forcing” that situation is okay. What I want to be careful about, and why I am asking and not experimenting, is making sure the passwords that are forced across all other repos are the ones that currently exist, not the autogenerated ones created when adding new users.

If this really is a situation that no one has encountered in their own usage, and no one has any helpful advice on how I should do things, then I will experiment and see what happens, but I’d prefer to err on the side of caution, if possible.

(8.2) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2024-03-01 02:22:35 edited from 8.1 in reply to 7 [source]

…so I don’t have to experiment and potentially mess things up.

I think you're assuming that the only valid experiment is with your live repositories. I wrote the article we're discussing by creating assorted test repositories and working through the scenarios. That option is available to you as well.

making sure the passwords that are forced across all other repos are the ones that currently exist,

The "forcing" I'm talking about is setting the passwords afresh so that the same plaintext can be used in generating the varying password hashes in each linked repo.

There is, on purpose, no way to recover the existing passwords, not even when given direct access to the user table's "pw" column. Without that input plaintext, you can't generate valid hashes in all the other repos. This is why I pointed out the inevitable failure if you try to copy the user table between repos wholesale in post #4 above. Until you have the plaintext in hand, you can't force the password hashes to be the same in all linked repos.

If you must sync all the passwords, the best way that comes to mind is to establish the login groups, then ask each of your users to change their password via the /login page. Unlike the /setup path, that always propagates the change across global scope.

(9) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 18:48:51 in reply to 8.2 [link] [source]

So I did some testing. Short story, it didn't work. Long story, lots of weird things occurred. I don't know why, but after trying to push the password from one repository in the group to the other, not only did it not work, but the second repository ended up with an unknown password. I could log in as the test user using its password from either repository. There were also situation where I can to type values into to last field in a form before filling in the other fields. When I worked top-to-bottom, the last field wouldn't accept input. I hadn't noticed that before. Perhaps it is an artifact of the particular version of fossil I have installed.

So, I guess I am stuck with making the users change their password each time I add a new repository. Unless someone has a clever idea on how to manage this situation.

I took notes. Here's what I did and what I saw:

fossil version
	This is fossil version 2.23 [47362306a7] 2023-11-01 18:56:47 UTC

fossil init -A master a.fossil password is MV8bEhFzUA fossil init -A master b.fossil password is tk4bdPvFyr

fossil server -P 8080 a.fossil fossil server -P 8081 b.fossil # in another terminal

Using safari in tab #1 - localhost:8080

# For the following I have to enter the password first.
# If I enter the login name first I cannot type into the
# password field.  Once it gets stuck like this,
# I need to change to another page (like Wiki) and then
# go back to the Login tab.
Login
	User ID: master
	Password: MV8bEhFzUA

In tab #2 - localhost:8081

Login
	Password: tk4bdPvFyr

Tab #1

Admin -> Users -> Add
	Login: test
	Password: aFZDzmneUkVq
	Capabilities: uv
	# hit return in the password field to create new user
	#    (Apply Changes doesn't do anything)

Admin -> Login-Group
	# Must enter name of login-group first.  If I
	# fill in the top fields first, I cannot type
	# into 'Name of login-group'
	Name of login-group: test
	Repository name in group to join: b.fossil
	Login: master
	Join

# Config.Name		Config.Value
	# login-group-code	6219524cb75da67f
	# login-group-name	test
	# peer-repo-5ec85bc444491489	/path/to/b.fossil
	# project-code		94544e2fc5ee4b14d21043333fa08bd4a01e8f2f

Logout

Login
	User ID: test
	Password: aFZDzmneUkVq
	# success
Logout

Tab #2

Admin
# forces a login

# now in admin tab

# Below, I'm using the suggested password since in a real
# situation, I wouldn't know what password had been used
# in the a.fossil repo.
Users -> Add
Login: test
Capabilities: uv
Password: qdNAWDRtvrVe
Apply change to this repository only
# Unlike previously, the Apply Changes button did add the user
# this time.

Logout

Login
	Password: qdNAWDRtvrVe
	# success

Logout

In tab #1 # Notice that I did not complete the Logout confirmation # when I previously tried to logout 'test'. Complete # that now. Login User ID: master Password: MV8bEhFzUA

Admin -> Users
	Select test user
	Add Clone Capabilities
	Apply change to all repositories in "test" group
	Apply Changes

Select test user
	Remove Clone cap
	Apply change to all repositories
	Apply changes

Logout

In tab #2 # Notice that test didn't complete the logout confirmation. # I could have sworn I did it, but I guess not. Logout

Login
	Password: tk4bdPvFyr # test's password from a.fossil
	# fail

Password: qdNAWDRtvrVe # initial password from b.fossil
	# fail

# success

Admin -> Users
	# verify that test is still listed as a user, but
	# now with an unknown password.

Logout
	# full confirmation this time

In tab #1 Login User ID: test Password: aFZDzmneUkVq # success

(10) By spindrift on 2024-03-01 19:47:41 in reply to 9 [link] [source]

So, I guess I am stuck with making the users change their password each time I add a new repository.

With the use case that you have described, what I can confirm is that you will indeed have to either get the user to change their password each time you add a new repository, or you will have to keep a list of the users' plain text passwords.

Note that the second option is a horrendous idea, but these are your only two options.

Very deliberately, a password cannot be "injected" into a repository from a pre-existing repository. The password itself is never stored, and the inputs to the hashing function are different for every repo, very deliberately.

So you must have access to the actual plain text password to set up the new repository.

This can be either the user themselves entering it (ideally by changing their password, possibly to the same one) or by you knowing their password.

But these are your two options. While you may find this frustrating, I hope it is at least clear?

(11) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2024-03-01 19:55:46 in reply to 10 [link] [source]

The password itself is never stored, and the inputs to the hashing function are different for every repo, very deliberately.

Not only for every repo, but for every distinct clone of a given repo. That is, my clone of fossil-scm.org's main repo creates different hashes than yours does.

This can be either the user themselves entering it (ideally by changing their password, possibly to the same one) or by you knowing their password.

In some projects, an admin will pass out an initial password to users and then request that they change after logging in. If my vague recollection is correct, that changing of the password will update the password in any repos within that login group.

(13) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 20:14:46 in reply to 11 [link] [source]

One last question before I move on. When a user changes their password, does it matter which repo they use?

I'd think it would be any, but when setting up the login group, I only add the syncing credentials on one repository. Is the resulting group bi-directional? If I link a repo 'a' to repo 'b' by providing 'a' with login information for 'b', can a user change their password on 'b' and have it synced on 'a'?

(14.1) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2024-03-01 20:37:50 edited from 14.0 in reply to 13 [link] [source]

When a user changes their password, does it matter which repo they use?

To the best of my recollection, no, but i've not poked around in that code in ages.

If I link a repo 'a' to repo 'b' by providing 'a' with login information for 'b', can a user change their password on 'b' and have it synced on 'a'?

Both my recollection and a cursory scan of the source code suggest that the login group connection is omni-directional. Every peer in the group is made aware of every other peer, so that a password modification on one knows which other databases have to be updated.

Edit: if any given member repo of a login group is every deleted or moved, all of its former peers will silently delete its entry when they're next updated. i.e. it won't cause a "repo not found" error across the whole login group.

(16) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 21:17:27 in reply to 14.1 [link] [source]

Thanks

(22) By Andy Bradford (andybradford) on 2024-03-02 02:43:03 in reply to 13 [link] [source]

> When a user changes their password, does it matter which repo they use?

Technically, yes, it does matter actually.  Consider the following:

3  repos are  in a  group all  having a  "tester" account  in them;  all
currently synchronized with "yiat5Ogus" for the password.

You add a 4th repo that also has  a "tester" account in it and issue him
the  password  of  "DyfrevAin7"  (because you  don't  know  his  current
password in the  group). Once joined, there  are now 2 ways  to login to
the  "group".  "tester" can  login  to  one  of  the first  three  using
"yiat5Ogus" and then change the password, or "tester" can login to repo4
using  "DyfrevAin7" as  the password.  Either way,  "tester" is  granted
access to all 4 repositories, however, he  won't be able to login to the
first  3  using  the  4th  password and  vice  versa.  So  depending  on
which  password "tester"  decides to  use will  dictate which  of the  4
repositories he'll need to use to change it.

If "tester" does not  actually know his own password on  4 then the only
alternative is  for him to  login to  one of the  first 3 and  change it
there.

Andy

(12) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 20:07:03 in reply to 10 [link] [source]

Yes. I understand. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part. It seems like what I’m trying to do would be a common enough need that there would be a solution. Login groups are a quasi step in this direction and indicate others need something sort of like what I want, but it’s not a full solution.

I guess what I’d really need is a configurable back-end for password management. Some sort of shared database (maybe even a fossil repository) that would hold user information that could then be used across multiple repositories.

(15) By spindrift on 2024-03-01 20:39:15 in reply to 12 [link] [source]

Yes, the closest you will come to this is fossil's CGI interface, which sets login variables in the CGI process' environment.

But you can't use this to allow credential control in fossil itself.

It's not a fully fledged SSO solution, it's just meant to help with a network of fixed, linked repositories.

It's your dynamic adding of new repositories that breaks the assumptions, and that is itself such a niche case that I don't think it is likely to be accommodated (but we have all said such things and been wrong before!).

You also can't restrict access to the CGI function with user caps (just in case you were wondering!).

I still think your easiest option, should you really wish to pursue your model (which I can see being useful) is to ask users to update their passwords whenever you add a repository. It really doesn't take long, and it would update all linked repos in one go, even if they hadn't logged in for a while. You could use the central "coordination repo" for this.

(17.1) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 21:39:42 edited from 17.0 in reply to 15 [link] [source]

Thanks

Edit: I'm almost certain I'll end up doing this a few times, as we start using fossil for other projects that require separate repositories.

(18.1) By spindrift on 2024-03-01 23:14:39 edited from 18.0 in reply to 17.1 [link] [source]

Please do repost then, when you either:

1. Can tell us how this "get everyone to change their password (to the same one potentially) each time you add a repository to the login group" strategy
  2. Find an alternative workflow

I'd be very interested to hear your findings.

(19) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 23:05:11 in reply to 18.0 [link] [source]

I'm sure it'll be #1. If it annoys me or the users too much (thankfully there aren't many) and if I have time (huge if), then I'll start looking at the fossil code and see what it would take to add some sort of shared password database.

As you and others have pointed out, there really isn't a solution. Either I record everyone's password so I can reset it for them, which is a bad idea in general and won't even work if they change the password on their own, or I make them jump through the reset password hoop when we add new repositories. So either I suck it up or I come up to speed on fossil internals and write some code. It'll probably be suck it up.

Well, I guess there's a third option - switch to a different SCM, but I like fossil. I prefer it to git. I'm definitely not going to go back to my roots with SCCS, RCS and CVS. My favorite is probably still Perforce, but they haven't supported FreeBSD as a server in a long time and I haven't used it in many years now.

(21) By Andy Bradford (andybradford) on 2024-03-02 02:32:39 in reply to 19 [link] [source]

> As you and others have pointed out, there really isn't a solution.

Well,  that depends  on  whether or  not you're  intent  on using  Login
Groups.

There are multiple ways to skin the  cat. You could use HTTP AUTH or SSH
in front of your fossil repositories and then you just have to make sure
that appropriate  users exist in  each repository. Presumably  you could
automate much of this.

Andy

(20) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-01 23:58:55 in reply to 18.0 [link] [source]

My apologies, I guess I have more thoughts, after all. With an eye towards the future, what about the following as a work around.

I create a number of extra, unassigned repos now. Say, dummy1.fossil, dummy2.fossil, etc. and have them join the login group along with the new one I need now. Then I ask people to change their passwords. Then the extra ones, even thought they have no purpose would be synced up and ready to go.

Are there any pitfalls involved in later renaming and repurposing the dummy repositories? Would it be as easy as renaming the file, or would there always be something "dummy" inside them?

(24) By spindrift on 2024-03-02 08:49:30 in reply to 20 [link] [source]

No, I think that would work, though it feels a little ugly.

Users wouldn't even need to know about the dummy repos waiting to be brought in at a later date. As long as they were all in the same login group and existent, it's probably a solution worth trying.

(26) By Trevor (MelvaigT) on 2024-03-02 11:35:36 in reply to 24 [link] [source]

Not just existent, but available. You need to ask what happens if a user tries to change their password and one of the repositories is offline.

If they are all hosted in the same place and therefore that isn't an issue - perhaps Andy's idea is a good one, look at policing access a different way entirely.

Regarding the multiple dummy repositories idea, I suspect you either end up with a ridiculous number of spares, or you don't create enough and eventually end up with the same problem all over again. A design rule I used to have to work under said design for at least 20 times the current know worst case requirement.

(27) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2024-03-02 12:08:39 in reply to 26 [link] [source]

Not just existent, but available. You need to ask what happens if a user tries to change their password and one of the repositories is offline.

Login groups require that all of the repos are reachable via local filesystem paths (they may be on a mount point, but must be accessible via a /conventional/path). Remote sync of passwords for a login group isn't an option.

It is hypothetically possible that one of them throws a locking error while a login group password is being updated, but locking errors are rare in fossil, even for moderately active repos like sqlite's forum.

(28) By spindrift on 2024-03-02 14:02:21 in reply to 27 [link] [source]

I think locking errors would be even less common for unused repos!

(30) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-04 17:48:43 in reply to 27 [link] [source]

I hope everybody had a nice weekend.

I was going to ask a follow-up question regarding renaming a dummy repository: If the process of maintaining login group membership is a simple as deleting the repo using the old name and then re-adding it using the new name. Then I figure I might as well just test it myself. That's when I noticed a problem.

Changing the user's password is not always propagating across repos. I have repos a, b and c in the same group. All have a user 'test'. When I change the password on repo a, I cannot use the new password to login in repo c. The new password works with repos an and b, but not c. All repos list the other two as being part of the same login group, though some of the implementation details are different, as shown below.

Repo a

Config.Name Config.Value Config.mtime
login-group-code 6219524cb75da67f
login-group-name test
peer-name-b533831b5ec9a3fd b533831b5ec9a3fd746b1412c8e13ee2f1464465 2024-03-04 16:54:03
peer-repo-585bc444491489 /Users/durian/tmp/fossiltests/b.fossil
peer-repo-b533831b5ec9a3fd /Users/durian/tmp/fossiLtests/c.fossil 2024-03-04 16:54:03
project-code 194544621c5645140210433331208b0420168f 2024-03-01 18:04:28

Repo b

login-group-name test
peer-name-94544e2c5ee4b14 94544e2c5ee4b14d21043333fa08bd4a01e8f2f 2024-03-01 18:14:49
peer-name-b533831b5ec9a3fd b533831b5ec9a3fd746b1412c8e13ee2f1464465 2024-03-04 16:54:03
peer-repo-94544e2fc5ee4b14 /Users/durian/tmp/fossil_tests/a.fossil 2024-03-01 18:14:49
peer-repo-b533831b5ec9a3fd /Users/durian/tmp/fossil_tests/c.fossil 2024-03-04 16:54:03
project-code 5ec85bc444491489bc968bf3c4c62f6b15874318 2024-03-01 18:05:10

Repo c

login-group-name test
peer-repo-5ec85bc444491489 /Users/durian/tmp/fossil_tests/b.fossil
peer-repo-945442c5ee4b14 /Users/durian/tmp/fossil_tests/a.fossil
project-code 6533831b5ec9a3fd746b1412c8e13ee211464465 2024-03-01 20:09:19

My testing was split between 2.23 and the snapshot as of 2024-02-24. This is on a Mac using Safari. I would use either 'fossil ui' or 'fossil server' to do the testing depending on who I was logging in with.

Unrelated to the password problem, I'm seeing a problem I mentioned previously. If I'm filling in the values on a form, I often cannot type into the last entry field if I'm filling them in top-to-bottom. I think it is related to moving from one entry to the entry immediately below it using the mouse to change focus. If I tab between the entries, it work. Also, if I skip an entry (go from entry 1 to entry 3 without clicking in entry 2) it works.

(29.1) By spindrift on 2024-03-02 14:06:16 edited from 29.0 in reply to 26 [link] [source]

Not just existent, but available

They just have to be on the filesystem where fossil can access them. They don't need to be served or hosted. They can be squirrelled away somewhere, just waiting to be populated.

Regarding the multiple dummy repositories idea, I suspect you either end up with a ridiculous number of spares

There isn't really any cost to having "a ridiculous number of spares".

But this isn't really a situation where a hot spare is needed instantly.

The OP will have some decent idea of how frequently a new repo will be needed.

If this turns out to be insufficient, then the "change a password" route is needed, but this would only need to be done one more time to bring any number of spares online (where "any number" is now informed by experience of how quickly new repositories were needed).

I think your concerns actually make me like this proposed solution more.

(25) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2024-03-02 11:18:22 in reply to 20 [link] [source]

Then I ask people to change their passwords. Then the extra ones, even thought they have no purpose would be synced up and ready to go.

What if (just spitballing here): you set up a repo which has no other purpose but to act as a gateway to all other repos by providing links to them on its homepage. Require all users to change their passwords through that one and it becomes (IMO) easier to reason about than telling them that they can change their password on any member of the repo group.

An example of a "gateway" repo can be seen at https://fossil.wanderinghorse.net. That repo's only purpose is to gateway access to my own repo collection. It does not use a login group, but... perhaps it should.

(31) By Michael Durian (durian) on 2024-03-04 17:49:56 in reply to 25 [link] [source]

This is an interesting idea. Do you have any advice regarding how you set up your gateway?

(32) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2024-03-04 18:01:03 in reply to 31 [link] [source]

Do you have any advice regarding how you set up your gateway?

The given example is just a "thin repo" - all it has is a few doc pages and a single user account. One of the menu entries ("Repos") points to a subdir which holds (A) a single CGI script per repo and (B) an shell-script-generated index.html to list those repos. Far simpler is probably to use fossil's "directory mode" but the idea of having fossil open up dozens of repositories just to show me a listing of them makes me queasy, so a CGI script per repo is my strong personal preference.

Sidebar: that particular site is believed (by me, anyway!) to be the oldest fossil-dedicated site aside from fossil's own source repo. According to the /stat page of the gateway repo:

Repository Size:	232,448 bytes
Number Of Artifacts:	114 (19 fulltext and 95 deltas) Details
Uncompressed Artifact Size:	4,479 bytes average, 22,410 bytes max, 510,648 total
Compression Ratio:	21:10
Number Of Check-ins:	14
Number Of Files:	3
Number Of Wiki Pages:	3
Project Age:	15 years, 5 months, 9 days

We can see that, even though it's ancient and still active, it doesn't hold much content.

(23) By Andy Bradford (andybradford) on 2024-03-02 02:52:51 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

> You use the  password for whichever repo you log  into first. Then you
> are automatically logged  into all the others, regardless  of what the
> password is on the others.

Just by  way of clarification, you  must use the right  password for the
right  repository. If  each repository  has a  different password  (e.g.
A->X, B->Y, C->Z),  you cannot use password X to  login via repository B
or C. Once you login to A  using password X, then you are granted access
to both B and C.

Also, as  far as I  can tell, this  only works with  the web UI  where a
cookie is stored and does not apply to cloning. You cannot clone A using
password Y from B even though it is grouped.

This is  why you would want  to login to one  of them, any of  them, and
then set the password so it is synchronized.

Andy