"Error: not authorized to read" on sync

"Error: not authorized to read" on sync

(1) By Warren Young (wyetr) on 2018-08-01 21:00:57 [source]

I just tried to post a new message to an existing forum thread by:

1. cloning this repository
  2. opening it into a local directory
  3. saying fossil ui
  4. writing the post locally
  5. saying fossil sync to push it to the server.

This is the offline forum user workflow.

It apparently didn't work, since I don't see even a pre-moderated version of my message under the one I replied to. My local system calls it artifact ID 666202893a.

On fossil sync, I got this:

$ fossil sync
Sync with https://wyetr@fossil-scm.org/forumtest1
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 1  received: 0
Error: not authorized to read
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 1  received: 0
Sync done, sent: 2601  received: 227  ip: 45.33.6.223

By that, I assume it means the public server does have a copy of my post artifact, but it isn't showing in the web UI. Maybe it can still be moderator approved? I tried to write something intelligent in case it succeeded, so please do so if it's easy. I also chose not to write something critical in case it isn't easy to recover the post. :)

What's up with "not authorized to read"? I can clone the repository but I can't read something from it?

I also notice that this test repository didn't allow anonymous cloning. Is that the intent with the "real" repo, or just an oversight on this one? If the latter, it may still be worth fixing, since it could allow for some tests that could shake out some problems before pushing all of this to production.

(2) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2018-08-02 01:12:58 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I have left "clone" permission turned off on the forum-test-1 repository. No particular reason for that - it's just the way it is currently set up. Maybe I'll turn it on later.

(3) By Warren Young (wyetr) on 2018-08-02 01:16:00 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

The thing is, I can clone, else I couldn't have done "fossil ui" above.

I had to give it my user name and password to do that, which you can see in the "sync" output.

(4) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-11 19:02:32 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

I've just re-tested this, and while you can clone the forum, you can't then sync it:

$ fossil sync
Sync with https://wyoung@fossil-scm.org/forum
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 0  received: 0
Error: not authorized to read
Round-trips: 1   Artifacts sent: 0  received: 0
Sync done, sent: 4162  received: 229  ip: 45.33.6.223

I've been deleting the email notification messages after reading each message, so I don't have a local archive of past posts that way. I hope to be able to keep an updated archive via fossil all sync.

Also, cloning the current forum gives me an Index Page setting under Admin → Configuration of /home, which ends up sending me to the timeline with a fossil ui command. Is this not set to /forum on the central repo, or is that setting being stripped out due to user capability settings on the central repo?

I'm guessing the latter, since my local clone also doesn't have the proper skin.

(5) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2018-08-13 00:45:54 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Aha, I see why fossil-scm.org/forum does not give check-in or check-out privileges to its normal users: in the clone, your user has Setup privilege, so posts are not marked as needing moderation. For this to work as I hope it eventually will, references to the forum post artifacts will have to be added to the private and modreq tables during sync, else that would be a path past the moderation restrictions.

(6) By Kevin (KevinYouren) on 2018-08-18 23:06:09 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Richard,

I recently read of an incident where someone, call her June, posted to a forum, controlled by, call him Harry, material that was under copyright. June may not have known it was under copyright.

A judge (I think somewhere in India) ruled that Harry  had to remove the material from the forum. 

If the forum can be cloned, it may be a different variant of "publishing". Removing copyright material, or anything deemed inappropriate by a judge could be difficult. 

Maybe worth getting legal advice.

regs, Kev

(7) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2018-08-20 05:21:02 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Hi Kevin,

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not familiar with the case you speak of.

What would drh need to speak to a lawyer about, exactly? Someone posting copyright material on this forum?

(8) By Kevin (KevinYouren) on 2018-08-21 01:20:31 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

Hi,

yes, mainly copyrighted material.

The probability of an infringement is low, so any need for action would also be low.

It's a case of be aware, and take appropriate action, if required.

regs,

Kev