Fossil Forum

trying to push an existing repo to a "new" remote server - help
Login

(1) By Mike Beard (legacy_code) on 2020-10-03 21:02:44 [link] [source]

Hi all!

I need some help trying to get my local fossil repo "pushed" up to a remote location (chiselapp.com) and not having too much luck.

I'm trying to do what I would normally do with git in that I initialize a local repo, add some files, get things where I want (usually through several checkins) and the I go and create a remote repo (on Github or Bitbucket) and then set my local repo to have a remote origin (in git-speak) to the newly created github repo.

I tried to do this with fossil. I created a new repository on chiselapp.com with the same name and then tried to push it from my local repo.

I get an error when I do what I think I should do (i.e. do a fossil push new_url but I get a Error: wrong project.

So, given what I'm trying to do, the obvious "git" way doesn't work. I was probably a little impatient and didn't find an obvious fossil way to do this.

I guess my question is "how do I do this"? Am I missing obvious fossil documentation that would tell me this (likely, though I did look, maybe not familiar enough with the correct terms)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-10-03 21:16:24 in reply to 1 [source]

I tried to do this with fossil. I created a new repository on chiselapp.com with the same name and then tried to push it from my local repo.

The project's name is irrelevant for pushing purposes. Each project has a randomly-assigned internal project code which fossil uses to determine their identity (and normally won't sync repos which have different identities). You need to either:

1. Delete the repo on chiselapp and upload (using chiselapp's interface) your newly-created repo to it or. (Make sure that you set up your user in the repo with full rights ("setup") before uploading it.)

2. Clone the chiselapp copy and commit your changes to it via that clone.

What you currently have is two separate repositories which cannot be made to sync without modifying one their project codes (which isn't something people normally want/need to do - it's a bit of a low-level hack).

(3) By Mike Beard (legacy_code) on 2020-10-03 21:20:28 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Ahh. Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks Stephan!

I must have missed the upload repository option! Sigh.

Thanks again!

Mike