Fossil Forum

Compilation error with "\#"
Login

(1.1) By Florian Balmer (florian.balmer) on 2023-04-20 16:12:21 edited from 1.0 [link] [source]

Today's check-in [6d2dbf985a] produces a compilation error on this line about an unknown escape sequence "\#" with MSVC. Compilation succeeds with GCC, but the help text to the test-strip-comment-lines only shows "#" instead of "\#".

I'm not sure where the fix should go, to src/blob.c or to tools/mkindex.c?

Edit: escaped backslashes.

(2) By Daniel Dumitriu (danield) on 2023-04-20 16:23:32 in reply to 1.1 [link] [source]

My bad, I had compiled with MSVC but obviously forgotten to do yet another clean.

I committed the obvious fix - that gives us some time to think whether mkindex.c should be changed or not.

(3) By Florian Balmer (florian.balmer) on 2023-04-20 16:35:13 in reply to 2 [source]

No worries, thanks for the decision AND the fix ;-)

Yeah, I'm under the impression that it's necessary to manually delete the generated page_index.h file to have it pick up command help changes.

On the one hand, I haven't found the time to investigate this in detail in the MSVC makefile, so far. And on the other hand, my custom build script unconditionally wipes the generated files builtin*, dispatch*, and page_index.h because I was bitten by this so many times.

(4) By Florian Balmer (florian.balmer) on 2023-04-22 10:58:36 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

I found the problem and updated the dependencies for the MSVC makefile so that changes to command help and built-in files are picked up.