Fossil Forum

Fossil Discord Community
Login

Fossil Discord Community

Fossil Discord Community

(1) By jam on 2020-12-21 18:24:28 [link] [source]

I don't believe there is any official Discord for Fossil SCM but I figure why not make one. If there is already one, can someone link it?

I haven't done too much yet but I'll leave up the link for anyone who wants to join! I would like to promote people to be server managers if they want to help maintain it.

https://discord.gg/BeVXrCVDtX

(2) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2020-12-21 20:25:15 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

It's an unofficial IRC community. See here: forumpost/3c7fedd39e6a819

(3) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2020-12-21 20:32:29 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I'm not familiar with Discord. But, by coicidence, I'm working on a chatroom for Fossil now.

The Fossil chat room will not have all the fancy features of Discord. On the other hand, it will be completely self-hosting and will not require a third-party server or account, and hence will not give third parties the opportunity to track your conversations so as to send you relevant advertising or banish you if you violate their terms of service. So the Fossil chat room will not be a competitor for Discord, but rather an alternative with a different mission.

The Fossil chat room is also not a replacement for IRC. Do I understand correctly that Discord is an updated web-based IRC?

The current Fossil chat room implementation is a Wapp script that runs using the CGI extension mechanism. Once I get it going, I might port it to native Fossil if it seems useful. Or not. We'll see how that goes.

Design points for Fossil chat room:

• The ability to share files in addition to chat messages.

• All conversation is persistent (for some finite amount of time, at least). So when you join, you see messages that have been in the chatroom before you got there.

• Works using ordinary CGI. (It uses the hanging-GET or long-poll strategy for retrieving new message, since I couldn't figure out how to do Web Sockets or Server Sent Events over CGI.)

• Not intended for the general public. You need a login name (other than "anonymous" or "nobody") in order to use it. In this sense, it is closer to a Facebook "wall" than it is to IRC.

• Only one chatroom per repository.

• The chat conversation does not sync. Ever. All chat traffic is local to a single server/repository.

• Chat is ephemeral. If you want a persistent conversation, use the Forum.

• All messages disappear after a fixed interval. (7 days? I don't know because I haven't implemented that part yet.)

• Messages can be deleted before their default expiration, if desired.

This is a work-in-progress and might not ever reach fruition. I only mention it because it is (perhaps) relevant to this thread.

(4) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2020-12-21 20:49:27 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Wow, Merry Christmas to us, Richard. Thank you for your gift!

Just a question:

All conversation is persistent

Chat is ephemeral. If you want a persistent conversation, use the Forum.

All messages disappear after a fixed interval.

What's the difference between a conversation, chat, and messages?

(5) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2020-12-21 21:00:39 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

The Fossil chatroom shows all messages from all participates. Those messages are collectively "the conversation". There is just one conversation. All messages go to all participates. No separate chatrooms for private discussions. If you need features like that, just a 3rd-party service (such as Discord or IRC).

The expected usual configuration is that only people with check-in privilege can read or write to the chatroom. The intent is to provide a place for active project developers to have an ephemeral discussion of current issues.

The chatroom in a Forum-only repository (such as the repository hosting this forum) might be a place for moderators to discuss how to deal with a troublesome poster.

So, in other words, I do not envision the Fossil chatroom as an open gathering place for random users and passers-by, but rather as a private meeting room for individuals who are closely connected to the project.

Having a space for public comments and discussion is good. The Forum provides that. Third-party systems like Discord and IRC provide that. The Fossil chatroom does not negate or replace those venues. The Fossil chatroom seeks to solve a different problem.

(6) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2020-12-21 21:19:08 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Got it and I agree with your approach!

(7) By george on 2020-12-21 21:42:19 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Thank you for the effort!
It would be nice to be able to link to (the artifacts of?) chat messages and uploaded files via SHA3. Per-user disk usage quota might also be nice to have.

ephemeral

With this regard, the "garbage collection" approach begs for my attention. I dunno why :)

expected usual configuration

Have anybody provisioned Fossil-based auto-syncing e-books that run on a ARM-based smartphone? This is still just dreams, but who knows what the future Developers will bring... :-)

(8) By aue oiae (cregox) on 2020-12-22 08:51:40 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

i have a vision in which forums, emails, and chat could all be one and the same.

delta chat offers a view of how merging emails and chat is already happening.

sourcehut does it for forums and emails amazingly well.

both are new and have their minor issues... but they make it clear how it is possible.

perhaps fossil could merge chat with forums? 😁

it would be the missing link!!

personally i can't say i have any such good checklists on how... i would love to contribute with making it, though! the list.

(9) By aue oiae (cregox) on 2020-12-24 18:53:27 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

we're probably missing a link (or ping) back (or forward) to the very relevant topic

(10) By anonymous on 2021-05-22 21:13:39 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

This invite link seems to have expired.

(11) By anonymous on 2024-03-18 15:13:51 in reply to 10 [link] [source]

Is the hour of each messages here in UTC? Would be good to specify it (maybe on mouse oveer).

Also, is there an official Discord for Fossil/Sqlite at this moment?

Thanks

(12) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2024-03-18 17:05:23 in reply to 11 [link] [source]

Is the hour of each messages here in UTC?

Yes.

Also, is there an official Discord for Fossil/Sqlite at this moment?

No. The developers "eat their own dog food" by using their own forum and chat system for intra-project communication.

(13) By anonymous on 2024-03-18 19:29:52 in reply to 12 [link] [source]

Thanks, I will share with you the first impressions of Fossil (not used yet) that I shared in a Discord server. I want to ask you if I'm correct when I say that could be "script friendly". Thanks

I will have Git and Fossil at the same time to see if it's worth it to me. What I like a priori on Fossil is that is only an executable, also a repository is an individual file IIRC, I like SQLite. Also I don't use integrated IDE git, so I will see if the integrated Fossil web UI (+ customized) is enough for me. Also seems that it will help me with CI scripts (as git does not seem very script friendly with exit codes, ...). Also fossil support multi-repository command operations. Of course, for working in team Git seems the best option, but we will see

(14) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2024-03-18 20:56:31 in reply to 13 [source]

I want to ask you if I'm correct when I say that could be "script friendly".

We have never had well-defined command outputs or result codes, so it's not strictly friendly in that regard. However, we often (but not always) avoid changing outputs solely for the sake of avoiding gratuitous breakage in peoples' scripts.

Fossil is generally easy to script but it's not designed specifically with that in mind because that's not how it's typically used day-to-day by those who work on it.