3. Save settings
  4. Attempt to delete the record by pressing delete
  5. Notice the record does not purge
  6. Delete the routing manually
  7. Delete the record by pressing delete

The email address record is now purged.

Is this expected?

(2) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2018-08-16 17:47:07 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

The SMTP capability is still very much a work in progress. If you are using it now, then you are helping to design and debug that module. :-)

The SMTP module is distinct from the Alert or "email notification" module. There is some conceptual connection between the two as they both involve email. But the Alert module (contained mostly in the tragically mis-named "email.c" source file) currently requires an external mail transfer agent to do the work of sending email. The SMTP module is intended to become a kind of simple mail-transfer agent. Once it is working better, we can add the SMTP module as one of the options for email delivery in the Alert module. Once SMTP is working really well, we can make it the preferred and/or default method for delivering email notification. But right now SMTP is not working well enough to satisfy that role.

The SMTP module really began as a separate project to provide an easy-to-use and easy-to-administer email server. See https://www.alt-mail.net. The code is currently living inside of Fossil so that it can take advantage of all the very useful infrastructure that Fossil provides, such as simple and unified HTTP/CGI/SCGI handling, APIs for working across unix and Windows platforms, a convenient SQLite wrapper, and the backoffice. A lot of that stuff would need to be duplicated if alt-mail.net had continued as a separate project. It just seemed simpler to combine alt-mail.net into Fossil. I also considered factoring out the infrastructure aspects of Fossil into a separate "framework" that could be used by both Fossil and alt-mail.net, and indeed that was the direction I was heading. But then the need for email-notifications came up in Fossil and there was sufficient similarity between that problem and alt-mail.net that I decided to simply combine the two.

Yes, I am aware of Zawinski's Law. But I am not particularly concerned about it in this case, since Fossil is sufficiently modular that administrators who do not want to use the SMTP component can simply leave it turned off (its default setting) and it does not cause any problems.

(3) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2018-08-16 17:54:47 in reply to 2 [source]

You're a genius, humble, and pleasant.

I first saw your altmail project just a few months before you started the forum project, and had a thought that you would work on expanding that to fossil and for it to actually deliver the email - very clever.

I certainly don't mind having an external program send mail (I'm testing with msmpt), but you didn't just give us one option but three total!

I'm thinking /webmail would tie into the smtp option, but I haven't figured out to have mail show up in there. I recall that's also mention on altmail as well, so I'll continue aiding in testing and offering suggestions.

Thanks for sqlite and your second child - Fossil. It shows you have a passion both equally.