Fossil Forum

Fossil discussion on HN
Login

Fossil discussion on HN

Fossil discussion on HN

(1) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2020-10-01 01:14:10 [link] [source]

(2) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2020-10-01 04:59:03 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Thanks for posting the link. This is one of the longer off-site threads I've seen regarding Fossil. I attribute that to the first-hand experience of people in the thread, and Warren for defending some positions of Fossil's design and some documents as well. I don't understand the position of the bug tracking being apart of Fossil, but that seems to have at least been cleared up from a couple other posts later.

Reading through some of the articles linked in the comments, I'm very hesitant to use something whose creator is so opinionated and vocally against another piece of software.

So does this person not use a computer? I'm pretty certain those who have created operating systems are very opinionated about the design choices they made.

(3) By Marcelo Huerta (richieadler) on 2020-10-01 12:47:31 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

For me, reading some of those subthreads was painful. Many Git-ites appear to have drank the Kool-Aid for so long that they're unable to accept the mere possibility that other people can work differently and enjoy doing so, and they appear to be deeply offended by Fossil's mere existence.

They refuse to read respected works on development, for crying out loud.

(4) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-10-01 13:45:47 in reply to 2 [source]

... and Warren for defending some positions of Fossil's design and some documents as well.

He gave a heroic effort there, but his counterpart is a wall, with which there is no debating. Anyone who "needs" rebase and "needs" a staging area is simply lost to us. That's okay, though - the world would be an even stranger place if we were all the same.

On a related note: how does one follow a thread on HN, aside from regularly tapping F5?