Fossil Forum

Trouble getting `make test` to pass
Login

(1) By patmaddox on 2023-04-20 19:44:46 [source]

I've cloned https://fossil-scm.org/home locally and it builds fine. I am trying to run make test, and am getting 63 failures. I did manage to fix a simple one at least.

Does make test pass for Fossil devs, and should it run cleanly for me? If so, I will continue to dig in to try to get the tests passing on my machine.

I've also checked out release-2.21 and see 61 failures there. So either make test generally doesn't pass, or it doesn't pass on my machine - I'm just not sure which it is. I've found the build docs but nothing about running tests.

Here's the configure / make test output if anyone is interested, maybe a core problem jumps out at someone.

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-04-21 14:07:20 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Does make test pass for Fossil devs, and should it run cleanly for me?

We're admittedly not as diligent about maintaining the tests as we should be. Any efforts to improve that would be welcomed.

Probably the main reason we don't concentrate so much on it (compared, e.g., to testing in its sibling project sqlite) is that we rely on the fossil binary's built-in checks to ensure that any bugs won't ruin a repository. Even so, it's something we should collectively be better about (especially me).

(3) By patmaddox on 2023-04-22 21:15:59 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Fair enough! Thanks for helping me establish a baseline.