Fossil Forum

Changing default number of forum threads shown
Login

(1) By brickviking on 2023-03-11 10:25:01 [source]

I use the fossil forums quite a lot, and I was looking for the variable in the settings that affects how many forum threads are shown on the first page, but I'm coming up empty. So far I've checked under the Admin section, and googled for "fossil-scm forum number of threads", which of course didn't net me much. In fact, I haven't found any settings relating to the forum at all (except perhaps moderation of tickets); just chat, tickets, and most of the other fossil minutiae.

I did find that by tacking on ?n=100, I could get 100 entries instead of the customary 25, but surely there's an elegant way to do this? A setting somewhere? This is fossil, after all.

Regards, brickviking (Post 8)

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-03-11 10:32:21 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I did find that by tacking on ?n=100, I could get 100 entries instead of the customary 25, but surely there's an elegant way to do this? A setting somewhere?

Nope.

This is fossil, after all.

Noting that any setting would affect all users, not just you.

For the timeline the number of entries to display is stored in a cookie. i see no reason we can't also store the forum list count there, then provide an unobtrusive link across the top to set that value.

(3) By brickviking on 2023-03-11 11:05:53 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

The suggestion you've provided would work wonderfully for me. Thank you for the time you've taken to my question. I'm only surprised that someone hasn't thought to ask it before, unless it was on the mailing list and I've just missed it somehow.

Incidentally, I could take a look at importing the mailing list archives, but for the question of mapping users to existing forum users would require data I probably don't have legitimate access to, i.e. a current user list.

I'm also not sure what would be used to do the job of importing, but I'm willing to at least take a look. Can't be that many messages, surely? Only ... what, 28,115 messages? Hm.

Regards, brickviking

(Post 9)

(4) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-03-11 11:07:51 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

A setting somewhere?

Nope.

Old news. Please try src:2ee93fc0c577a545. That check-in adds a "Max" form field along the top, just like the one on the /timeline page, and it remembers the number you enter there in the display prefs cookie.

Please report any problems with it here.

(5) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-03-11 11:15:52 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

I'm also not sure what would be used to do the job of importing, but I'm willing to at least take a look. Can't be that many messages, surely? Only ... what, 28,115 messages? Hm.

i don't know whether we really want to import all of the mail archives. There have been several calls for it from users of the years, but before we could do so, aside from the work of scripting it, we'd need to make sure that it's legal for us to do so (specifically, for ML users in the EU). Keeping the mapping of ML users to fossil users is not a must, by any means. Perhaps any legal concerns could be lessened by importing them all as if they'd been posted by anonymous users.

FWIW, to me it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. The ML archives are old enough that the overwhelming majority of the posts are either irrelevant or invalid now, and are primarily of historical interest.

That said: if you'd like to give it a go then have at it.

(6) By brickviking on 2023-03-11 11:31:23 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Sounds great. I'll get onto that tomorrow - it's gone after midnight here and the number of spare I.Q. points is rapidly dropping below the 70 level...

Incidentally, I'm currently trying to find out why my version of fossil isn't incrementing.

(Post 10)

(7) By brickviking on 2023-03-11 11:52:59 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Spent some time correcting some assumptions of mine and finally recompiled a fully-up-to-date fossil. The feature works well, though visually it doesn't look appealing it at least works. I'm happy.

And as for my non-incrementing version, I'd failed to run a "fossil update" inside the checkout. Now that's all fixed, I'm all grateful. And now it really is time I headed off to bed.

It's goodnight from me, and it's goodnight from him.

(Post 11)

(8) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-03-11 12:56:41 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

The feature works well, though visually it doesn't look appealing it at least works.

It is admittedly not stylish but was chosen because that's how the timeline page does it and consistency seemed more appropriate than adding a set of predefined limit links (my initial plan).

(9) By Vadim Goncharov (nuclight) on 2023-03-18 14:43:08 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Keeping the mapping of ML users to fossil users is not a must, by any means

I've proposed (a year ago or so) a change to U card to include optional argument with full e-mail, for supporting collaborating with Git-style distinction of "author" (any in the world) and "committer" (would be someone with rights).

I think this extension could be used for this 'not-mapping' task also - e.g. fossil user 'imported' and actual e-mail in second arg.