Fossil Forum

Add fsl to relatedwork.md under Fossil Inspired Projects
Login

(1) By John Rouillard (rouilj) on 2023-01-09 04:40:31 [source]

Is there some reason fsl isn't included in the Fossil Inspired Projects section of relatedwork.md?

An entry like:

[fsl]: a fossil wrapper written in Tcl/Expect extending fossil functionality

with  [fsl]: http://fossil.0branch.com/fsl/home

seems to be similar in spirit to the fnc entry.

(2) By mark on 2023-01-09 05:33:19 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Is there some reason fsl isn't included in the Fossil Inspired Projects section of relatedwork.md?

None at all! I only added those of which I'm aware plus a few found with a cursory search, and fsl wasn't among either of those.

relatedwork.md is quite new so I'm sure it's missing more suitable links. We hope to see them all added in time so if you're aware of others, please share them too.

wrt fsl, I've just added this; however, according to their site, the project is still in alpha but hasn't been updated in over 3 years. Do you know if the project is still actively maintained or been abandoned? I think there are other projects listed that might also be abandoned, should these be annotated in some way to advise readers, or perhaps removed from the list?

(3) By jvdh (veedeehjay) on 2023-01-09 09:27:19 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I, too, would vote for keeping fsl mentioned in this section (disclaimer: I am the person taking care of the dresden branch).

regarding "alpha" and "maintained": in my view the original author did an excellent job in providing a very flexible machinery and initial configuration that can be tweaked to the user's taste.

so using the rather old trunk should still suffice for many people I guess.

the more current dresden branch ("only" 3 years unaltered) just is my personal playground where I implemented some further things I wanted to have, mostly concerning a colourful timeline also providing incremental checkin counts that can be used locally for interaction with fossil. so, e.g. things like

fsl dd -r44:55

(even w/o a space between -r and the checkin references) would provide a diff (using the Tk interface since dd is aliased to diff -tk) between checkins 44 and 55 as they are enumerated in the modified timeline layout. users of mercurial might understand why I wanted that syntax ;).

so that's the reason there are no changes currently in the project (or the respective branch): just works for me :). as long as fossil's native behaviour does not change regarding command names and generated terminal output, fsl should continue to work.

it definitely is functional and useful I'd say.

(4) By John Rouillard (rouilj) on 2023-01-09 17:15:39 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Thanks for the Dresden branch. IIRC that's what I use.