Fossil Forum

Markdown in check-in comment?
Login

(1) By Alan Bram (flyboy) on 2023-05-17 00:47:58 [source]

Can a check-in comment be formatted with Markdown?

The docs say yes, but when I try it it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to turn on some setting to make it happen?

I tried passing the --mimetype option to the check-in command; it didn't seem to have any effect.

I would like to link check-ins to tickets (or even better, specific ticket changes).

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-05-17 01:14:10 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Can a check-in comment be formatted with Markdown?

No.

The docs say yes,

Which docs?

The check-in comment can ostensibly be stored in markdown format, but only ostensibly. Internally, much processing assumes that all check-in messages are in the fossil-wiki format, and that's unlikely to change any time soon.

I would like to link check-ins to tickets (or even better, specific ticket changes).

We recently prototyped a model which will allow us to link arbitrary artifacts to other arbitrary artifacts, one of the driving motivations being to link forum posts to check-ins, other forum posts, or tickets. Development of that prototype is currently stalled due to Real Life(TM) factors which take priority, but it is on our radar.

(3) By Alan Bram (flyboy) on 2023-05-17 01:35:50 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Which docs?

The one titled "Wiki in Fossil" (this one). I mean, I thought that's what it was trying to say.

... assumes that all check-in messages are in the fossil-wiki format,

Using Fossil wiki format doesn't seem to be working for me either; except that if I write a hyperlink, it does get link-ified (although not properly formatted -- it still appears as [target label]).

(4.1) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-05-17 01:54:49 edited from 4.0 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

I mean, I thought that's what it was trying to say.

It is indeed, but it's "not quite correct" on that account and will be updated momentarily.

The internal data format for check-ins supports markdown-formatted messages, but by the time that option was added, several pieces of long-standing internals were found to have deep-seated assumptions about the message format which would make extending them for markdown a good deal of work.

Using Fossil wiki format doesn't seem to be working for me either

Visit /setup_timeline and make sure that the "plain text" option is unchecked. As of this writing, it's the second option on the page. That should resolve that for you. For reasons beyond my ken, that option is sometimes enabled by default on some repos.

(5) By Alan Bram (flyboy) on 2023-05-17 06:36:32 in reply to 4.1 [link] [source]

Visit /setup_timeline and make sure that the "plain text" option is unchecked

Ah! Yes, that made a difference. It's initially enabled by default on new repos I'm creating for these experiments (Fossil version 2.15.2).

And thanks for fixing the doc.