Fossil Forum

bug: open claims an option (-k) it does not have.
Login

(1) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-12-14 14:35:51 [source]

This screen scrape pretty much says it all:

larrybr@Bit-Borker:~/Backups/ShellExt$ fo open ../worksave.fossil cli_extension
directory /mnt/LarBitBag/Backups/ShellExt is not empty
use the -f (--force) option to override
or the -k (--keep) option to keep local files unchanged
larrybr@Bit-Borker:~/Backups/ShellExt$ fo open ../worksave.fossil cli_extension -k
unrecognized command-line option or missing argument: -k
larrybr@Bit-Borker:~/Backups/ShellExt$ fo open ../worksave.fossil cli_extension --keep

where "..." is the info clump emitted upon a successful open.

Restated: The open command, when it moans about a non-empty checkout directory, suggests using the -k option, yet it will fail when given (just) that option.

This is from Fossil version: larrybr@Bit-Borker:~/Backups/ShellExt$ fo version This is fossil version 2.18 [f96e9dfad3] 2021-11-22 16:12:43 UTC

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-12-14 14:39:48 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

or the -k (--keep) option to keep local files unchanged

There are two potential fixes: remove -k from that help text or add -k as an alias for --keep.

Which would you prefer? There's no reason i can see to not add a the -k alias.

Either way, it's a one-line change and i'm ambivalent about which one gets made.

(3) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-12-14 14:45:43 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I think that decision should turn on the extent other options (across the set of commands) come in short and long forms. Personally, I like having both forms. And I believe (without doing a specific investigation) that oft-used options generally have both forms.

That's my $/50 .

(4) By Daniel Dumitriu (danield) on 2021-12-14 14:47:37 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I missed your second reply and just committed the short option.

(5) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-12-14 14:50:22 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

I missed your second reply and just committed the short option.

And i just added the help text entry for it ;).

-k is now official.