Fossil Forum

RFC: removal of the bootstrap skin
Login

(1) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2022-11-13 18:40:51 [source]

While working on Eric's WCAG-related changes i was once again reminded what a pain in the bottom the "bootstrap" skin is. That skin uses a different DOM structure geared towards its CSS, making it incompatible with many of our application-level CSS selectors (both before and after Eric's changes - this is not a new problem). We have several JS-heavy apps which query the DOM via CSS selectors and expect it to be shaped in a more or less conventional manner, and the bootstrap skin pulls that out from under them. At a very minimum, /pikchrshow and /chat both gain a certain level of flakiness when that skin is active.

Aside from that, the skin... has aesthetically not aged well :). It's very "2010-ish" to my eyes, with the obligatory caveat that there's no accounting for taste.

So... here's my proposal that we remove the bootstrap skin in the 2.21 release.

Yay? Nay? :-?

(2) By senyai on 2022-11-13 20:03:18 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

When I see 'bootstrap' in the list my thought is always: "Meh, why do they still have it".

(3) By anonymous on 2022-11-16 03:17:00 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Yay,

Its definitely worthwhile removing since when I demo fossil to people they seem to pick bootstrap as a skin :-) and then get surprised.

(4) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2022-11-17 05:22:23 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I think it's fair to say bye to this theme.

(5) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-01-20 03:23:47 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

So... here's my proposal that we remove the bootstrap skin in the 2.21 release. ... Yay? Nay? :-?

Last call! If there are no vehement objections, the bootstrap skin will be removed sometime in the coming days.

(6) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2023-01-20 04:00:04 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

No nay here, but if the "bootstrap" skin was selected, it would be a kindness for fossil to not do anything bizarre. Perhaps an unknown skin should be equivalent to the default.

(7) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-01-20 04:33:29 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

No nay here, but if the "bootstrap" skin was selected, it would be a kindness for fossil to not do anything bizarre.

That's an excellent point, thank you for bringing that up. i'll be sure to ensure that the skin selection behaves well in that case. If it doesn't already, that will be checked in with that change.

(8) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-01-21 01:17:49 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

If there are no vehement objections, the bootstrap skin will be removed sometime in the coming days.

Done! Anyone who had that skin set in their display preferences cookie will simply get the default skin.