Fossil Forum

A small patch to src/setup.c and an introduction.
Login

(1) By brickviking on 2022-08-08 11:10:04 [source]

Hi there. I recently came across the fossil project and I've been keeping an eye on the forums. In my checking out of the absolutely fantastic resources that are presented, one little thing popped out to me, and I'd like to suggest a fix if it's appropriate.

This is a direct output from "fossil diff" against the latest checkout I have.

Index: src/setup.c
==================================================================
--- src/setup.c
+++ src/setup.c
@@ -1102,11 +1102,11 @@
   @ engines as well as a short RSS description.
   @ (Property: "project-description")</p>
   @ <hr />
   entry_attribute("Canonical Server URL", 40, "email-url",
                    "eurl", "", 0);
-  @ <p>This is the URL used access this repository as a server.
+  @ <p>This is the URL used to access this repository as a server.
   @ Other repositories use this URL to clone or sync against this repository.
   @ This is also the basename for hyperlinks included in email alert text.
   @ Omit the trailing "/".
   @ If this repo will not be set up as a persistent server and will not
   @ be sending email alerts, then leave this entry blank.

I've been knocking around online since 1996 (or thereabouts) and been on computers a bit longer than that. I primarily run Linux here, with a few patches via github to some small projects. I like the idea of fossil repositories being single files, which increases their portability. I also have a question that may have been asked before, but I haven't found an answer to it yet.

I was trying to get the fossil.fossil and fossilforum.fossil repos to be one entity, but the best I've come up with is to modify links in each repository to point to the other one, i.e. going from the source repo over to the forums. Here, it's a pair of files, but on the website, the link appears to be seamless. I've been running them both using "fossil ui ..." and focussing each tab as I need it, but I was wondering who's done the job of algamating them together.

Anyhow, enough from me.

Cheers, brickviking

(Post 1)

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2022-08-08 11:48:02 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

This is the URL used to access this repository as a server.

i'll get that patched momentarily.

I was trying to get the fossil.fossil and fossilforum.fossil repos to be one entity,

There's not a genuinely straightforward way to do that.

You "could" merge the two into one repo by merging their blob tables into one db and running "fossil rebuild", but there may well be unwanted side effects, like a second trunk, which require cleanup afterwards. They would then be a single repo, though.

There's no other way to make the links 100% seamless between the two but what this repo and the main fossil one does to reduce the friction is use "interwiki" links (see the /intermap page in a local repo). e.g.:

the main repo /timeline