Fossil Forum

Write permission required in chat preview function.
Login

(1) By iefbr14 on 2023-12-22 13:12:52 [source]

Hi all. I have made a fossil repo only to be able to chat to a few users. Everything works fine except for the preview function. It throws a Write permission required. error. I used permissions Cjp for the chat users. After some fiddling I got the preview function working but only if I add checkin permission for the users. I am not sure though whether this is the best way to get it working. The version I am using is 2.17 on a synology nas via CGI.

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-12-22 14:22:40 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Everything works fine except for the preview function. It throws a Write permission required.

We have a discrepancy in the permissions required for the preview modes for /wikiedit and /chat, with /chat being more restrictive (/wikiedit requires the laxer permissions for the sake of the letting anonymous folks play with the Sandbox page). This has never been noticed because all of the repos we regularly use /chat on enable /chat only for the developers.

The quick fix is to add checkin permissions, and we'll have a fix checked in to trunk in the next hour or two which removes the write-perms requirement for /chat's preview. As of that fix, you'll be able to remove checkin permissions from the users.

(3) By iefbr14 on 2023-12-22 15:18:25 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Thanks for the quick response. I am planning to move that fossil repo to another server so I can use the latest fossil version, as that fix will probably take its time to reach the the synology environment. In the mean time I will use the checkin 'fix'.