Fossil Forum

Feature request: have forum username be a link to show all posts
Login

(1) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-04-07 15:28:01 [link] [source]

Hi all,

On many forum sites (hackernews, reddit, lobsters, etc), you're able to click the poster and commentor username to see all posts and/or comments by that user.

I think this would be a neat idea on the Fossil forum as well. It won't be as useful for those who post anonymous, but it would show all those anonymous posts/comments.

Notice how I'm saying posts/comments? Maybe the two could be differentiated with a link or drop down option to filter out either one.

I'm aware of the ability to use the timeline, so it seems we're almost there. By the way, where's Warren?!

Thanks for the consideration to enhance the forum.

(2) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2021-04-07 15:33:44 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

where's Warren?!

Hi; still here moderating every day.

+1 to your idea. I’ve asked for it, too.

Your /timeline example fails because it’s restricted to y=ci and the forum repo has no versioned file content.

(3) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-04-07 15:43:04 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

That sounds like something that needs fixing in the timeline.

(4) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-04-07 15:46:34 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

That sounds like something that needs fixing in the timeline.

It's not broken, really, it's just that the default filter is "checkins only". Passing y=f, or changing the default filter with the drop-down, does the right thing.

(5) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2021-04-07 15:47:49 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

My interpretation of the “fix” is to detect that there’s no file content and switch the default.

(6) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-04-07 15:52:09 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

My interpretation of the “fix” is to detect that there’s no file content and switch the default.

That sounds like a case of software trying to be "too clever," and will eventually do the wrong thing, i.e. show the user something other than what he's asked for, leading to a support call to the forum to report a bug.

Maybe, rather than switching automatically, a message "no content of type X found," perhaps with links to the other content types.

(7) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-04-07 16:42:00 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Hey, there you are! Thanks for continuing to moderate here.

Your /timeline example fails because it’s restricted to y=ci

Ah, you're right. I knew to change it to forum and didn't mention it in my oP.

(8) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-04-07 18:48:16 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

This suggestion is now on trunk.

(9.1) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2021-04-07 18:54:02 edited from 9.0 in reply to 8 [source]

Zippy! This will help in a number of common situations:

1. vanity searches: Remind me what I've been writing lately.
  2. aide-memoire: I know I wrote something on that, but search isn't finding it.
  3. moderation: What's this dude been saying? Is he a crank, a spammer, or just one not doing well in his ESL courses?

(10) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-04-07 22:02:43 in reply to 8 [link] [source]

Thank you very much!

(11.1) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-05-10 00:08:56 edited from 11.0 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Hi,

I've really enjoyed the usernames linking to previous posts. I have one more suggestion I didn't consider asking for last time. Maybe this would be of use, maybe it wouldn't.

It would be neat if the login page linked you to posts/comments you've made. Maybe the bold username could be the link, or a new link could be added elsewhere on the page.

Just an idea for consideration.

Edit...

I think this would further help in Warren's points 1 & 2 above.

(12) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-05-10 01:58:03 in reply to 11.1 [link] [source]

It would be neat if the login page linked you to posts/comments you've made.

Here you go.

(13) By sean (jungleboogie) on 2021-05-10 04:51:57 in reply to 12 [link] [source]

Thank you, Stephan! Very kind of you to work on this.