Fossil Forum

State of 3rd Edition book
Login

(1) By brickviking on 2023-03-13 09:21:02 [source]

Hi there. I've noticed a couple of things with the most recent content for the Fossil book. In the spirit of do-ocracy (and not to tread on poor Torsten Berg's toes), here's an initial patch.

This typo occurs here at the last paragraph from the commit on 27th February 2023: Now, in February 2022, Fossil is at version 2.2q and the book is being continued...

I can only assume it's meant to look like this: Now, in February 2023, Fossil is at version 2.21 and the book is being continued...

I'll also read back through other tickets to see what's been fixed and what hasn't.

As I read through the recent PDF copy, I noticed a format problem with shell output, where multiple shell commands are simply concatenated onto one line without a line break, probably due to the aforementioned "half-baked formatting". For example, in single-user.md:38, we have the following:

:: Shell $ cd fossilbook3 $ fossil new ../FOSSIL/FossilBook.fossil ::

That renders out in the pdf like this:

\$ cd fossilbook3 \$ fossil new ../FOSSIL/FossilBook.fossil

And the html renders out like this: $ cd fossilbook3 $ fossil new ../FOSSIL/FossilBook.fossil

I haven't figured out how to fix this, as it seems to have something to do with the rendering out of the admonition for pandoc. I reran the "make" command in the fossil-book checkout to confirm it's still happening, at least in the PDF version. Can someone describe how the pandoc internals spit that sort of stuff out?

Cheers, brickviking (Post 12)

(2) By Robert Hairgrove (bobhairgrove) on 2023-03-13 09:57:26 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

For example, in single-user.md:38 ...

Under Connect repository on that same page, the author runs the command:

fossil open [...]
in a non-empty folder without mentioning the warning you get if not including the -f | --force option. This would be worth adding, IMHO.

Thanks for keeping this up-to-date ... as a total newbie, this has been a valuable reference for me!

(3) By Robert Hairgrove (bobhairgrove) on 2023-03-13 10:53:22 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Creating a new home page doesn't seem to work as described in the book, either (section 2.6, Wiki Use).

If I select "Wiki" from the menu bar, there is no link to "[project] home page", but the first item is the "Formatting Rules" if no other pages have been created yet.

If I click on "Create a new wiki page", I cannot access the editor page without giving the page a name, so I type "home". This lets me enter the body of the page and save it; however, it is saved as "http://localhost:8080/home/home" and not "http://localhost:8080/home", as one might expect.

How is it actually done?

(4) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2023-03-13 11:11:09 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

If I click on "Create a new wiki page", I cannot access the editor page without giving the page a name, so I type "home". This lets me enter the body of the page and save it; however, it is saved as "http://localhost:8080/home/home" and not "http://localhost:8080/home", as one might expect.

i'm unable to reproduce the mis-naming. Can you walk us through exactly how you got to that? What i tried was...

• Create a new repo
  • fossil ui newrepo.fossil
  • Wiki menu entry ==> Create a new wiki page
  • Enter "home" as the name
  • Tap the "create" button
  • Enter random text
  • Tap "save and close"

It then redirects me to /wiki?name=home and works as expected.

Note that in order to make "/wiki/home" your home page, you'll need to go into Admin ==> Configuration, and change the "index page" entry to /wiki/home. By default /home will use a wiki page with the same name as the project.

(5) By Robert Hairgrove (bobhairgrove) on 2023-03-13 11:26:36 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

YOUR description works very well, thank you very much.

However, that is not what the Fossil book says to do!

(6) By Torsten Berg (torstenberg) on 2024-04-15 12:36:58 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Hi,

sorry to be late on this (also the post by Arend-Jan). Life keeps me busy and leaves little room for updates these days.

I have now corrected all the typos and also the outdated text regarding Wiki page creation and the project home page.

Also, I have made an initial attempt to format shell commands, Notes and "Good to know"s in the HTML output. It is not perfect yet but a beginning so at least the newlines are now fine and these paragraphs can easily be recognized.

(7) By brickviking on 2024-04-17 07:37:38 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Thank you for those changes. I'll have another look, I might be able to rummage through and find some other stuff I can supply directly as fossil patches, now that I know more than I knew 13 months ago.

Cheers for now,

brickviking

(Post 28)